Clam help

Slombardi

BRS Member
I bought this clam at ffm this year and everything seemed to be doing great until a couple days ago. I noticed it not open as much. Then it would randomly open and close which it really never did in the past. Now the mouth seems open a lot more than previous and the mantle more receded.

I tested my levels and seem normal.

Alk 6.9
Ca 420
Mg 1420
P .02
N 2-5

Should I be worried?

20200602_185604.jpg

You should be worried. Don’t have much guidance to improve the health but the alk is a little low. You can fresh water(RODI) dip it at your own risk.

I’m 0-2 with clans once they start acting funny. I’d keep a close eye on tankmates picking on it or pyramid snails

Yes IMO I think all is a touch low. I keep mine at 8.5-8.7 and so far ok. Also agreed on keeping an eye on tank mates.

My tank has been around 7 for alk since I got the clam and it has been fine. I guess ill try to raise to 8 over the next day or so.

A month ago I had a clown nipping at it so I moved him to another tank. Haven't seen anything bother it since.

Hesitate to move to another location. If the alk doesn't do anything I'll check if the foot is still attached to the rock.

I may be wrong, but I recall a speaker saying at a club meeting (or maybe a conference) that by the time you realize something's wrong with your clam, it's too late.

Anyone else recall that?

I only ever tried one clam, and it basically went that way. Looked great for quite a while, then the snails/crabs were eating it.

** Edited to correct spelling mistake.

Last edited:
Yeah hence my 0-2 lol. Both bought from a reputable place, tank grew sps like crazy.... each clam faded away.

Be ready to call the ball if you see big declines

I don't really feed it. A couple times a week my tank gets AF phyto, but I was under the impression since its about 6 inches it doesn't need to be fed.

I don't really feed it. A couple times a week my tank gets AF phyto, but I was under the impression since its about 6 inches it doesn't need to be fed.
I’ve honestly never kept a clam before but I know a few guys guys that do that pick up live phytoplankton from me on a regular basis and they say their clams love it and open right up and feed when they put it in the water, and nothing special about my phyto any good quality live phyto would be beneficial.

I’ve honestly never kept a clam before but I know a few guys guys that do that pick up live phytoplankton from me on a regular basis and they say their clams love it and open right up and feed when they put it in the water, and nothing special about my phyto any good quality live phyto would be beneficial.

The plan was to start a phyto culture when I finished my fish room, which is pretty much ready. I know clams love that. Was hoping it would be more for supplemental instead of essential though.

Back