clam lighting question

i have a 10 gallon nano reef well established with lps and soft corals.

i want to upgrade the lighting to a reef breeders nano

Dimensions 8.75″L X 5.5″W X 2.5″H its 14000K with both channels at the same intensity
Wattage at Full Power 50watts
At Half Power 25watts
MH Comparison 75watt
Number of LEDs 20, 2 channels of 10
Dimmable Yes
Controllable No

do you think i could keep a tridacna squamosa alive on the sand bed

i will likely have to add calcium to the tank

JMO,and this is just me.
I would never attempt a clam in a 10 gallon.
Just way too much parameter fluctuation, never mind the intense lighting needed.

JMO,and this is just me.
I would never attempt a clam in a 10 gallon.
Just way too much parameter fluctuation, never mind the intense lighting needed.

+1. I think you could get a light strong enough to run that tank no problem but like stingy said with such little water volume your parameters will shift. That little change could make a clam unhappy

yes i understand that the clam will grow larger than the tank

but that will take time. this 10 goes away in favor of something larger as soon as i get a permanent apartment

maxima is better sized but i like the yellow coloration of the Squamosa better

im just asking a question and so far the answer has been a resounding NO

Last edited:
yes i understand that the clam will grow larger than the tank

but that will take time. this 10 goes away in favor of something larger as soon as i get a permanent apartment

maxima is better sized but i like the yellow coloration of the Squamosa better

im just asking a question and so far the answer has been a resounding NO

A 5" Squamosa will be around (or bigger) than 8" in one year. Squamosas grow fast.

I have a Maxima in a 10 gallon connected to my main tank. I keep it right under a 12K 150W halide.

I wouldnt even try to keep a clam In a 10 gallon that is not plumbed into a bigger tank.

IMO.IME...Maximas and Croceas are WAY too sensitive to thrive in a 10 gallon tank, due to the obvious reasons listed above...Deresa just get too big too fast...

But I have to say, I have personally kept a Squamosa Clam in a 15 gallon for 2 years under PC bulbs and it did great...It grew from about 2" to about 5" during that time....

Back