Cleaning a tank??

melana

Non-member
Hi everyone,
I have a tank that leeked and needs to be resealed. I have all the items needed to reseal it. I rinsed the tank out really good with just water but I was wondering, what do you use to clean the inside before I can remove old seal and apply the new seal?? :rolleyes:

If the tank has calcium deposits, use vinegar to clean it first. If there are still other things on the inside you can use bleach. When it's all clean, and you've removed the old silicone, I'd clean the corners where the silicone will go with some denatured alcohol, and let it evaporate for 15 minutes or so.

Nate

the tank doesn't have any calcium deposit, I only had it up and running for about 3 weeks before it leeked. So maybe just a good cleaning with bleach...what amount of bleach to water?

If it was only up for 3 weeks, I'd just wash it with water, maybe a little vinegar splashed in for extra shine.

Nate

NateHanson said:
... I'd clean the corners where the silicone will go with some denatured alcohol, and let it evaporate for 15 minutes or so.

I would still recommend this after washing the tank. You want to make sure the area where you will apply the silicone is very clean.

Back