Cloudy, with a chance of failure.

Tcancel

Non-member
Hello guys and gals, looking for a bit of advice.

I was given the task to set up a 180gal tank at work. I filled it about a day and a half ago and added live sand. Now, because the sand is live i needed my water to be mixed and ready. The problem is that i was limited on equipment, so I had to fill the tank first and add sand after. Now, its been over 24 hours and the cloudiness has not improved a bit. :mad-new: :mad-new: :mad-new: :mad-new: The cloudiness has happen to me before, but usually there is an improvement by 24 hours. Any ideas on how to reduce the cloudiness? I did use super fine grain because we are thinking of having a bamboo shark. Should i wait another 24 hours before i panic? Should I turn my sump off?

Any advice i would appreciate, really don't want to have to drain it and start again. Thank you in advance!

That happened to me when I started my tank. I turned all my pumps off and ran a cannister filter with just some cotton in it and it cleared up in a few days. If you don't have a cannister filter you can use you may be better off just turing everything off for a while so it can settle

What if you use a filter sock in the sump? Or maybe bring a canister filter and run that for a few days?

I also added water first and then fine live sand. Mine took almost a week to fully clear up. Just give it time :)

It'll settle, it can take a good week for sand dust to clear. Filter floss in a mechanical filter or between baffles in the sump is cheap and can speed the process a bit.

Have you cycled it? This happened to me before and they said to throw the shrimp in and in a day or two all the bacteria will start to grab the particles and pull them down. I literally came home one day to a perfectly clear tank.

That's what I would do.

I do have a canister filter im not using, thats a great idea.

PSU4ME, i did add a bacteria additive, and i did threw in some food. Hoping it clears up soon. Ill be working tonight so ill set the canister filter and keep you guys updated. Thanks again for the ideas!

I might swing by tonight.....depending on when the guy is coming for the light meter. I'll text you if I can.

I also added water first and then fine live sand. Mine took almost a week to fully clear up. Just give it time :)

Same problem here, same solution i just waited it out...little more than a week. Make sure any powerheads are pointed up away from ur sand bed

That happened to me when I started my tank. I turned all my pumps off and ran a cannister filter with just some cotton in it and it cleared up in a few days. If you don't have a cannister filter you can use you may be better off just turing everything off for a while so it can settle

Cotton??? The regular one you buy at the drugstore?? I know its probably a stupid question, its just the first time i hear about it.

i'd prolly go with some polyester/nylon pillow stuffing from walmart

Second that. The stuff is cheap and works fairly well. Sometimes a few stray fibers will end up floating around the system, but they are easy to remove and don't hurt anything. Look in the sewing section at walmart.

when every thing is about back to normal take a lite flow powerhead (hold in your hand) or turkey baster and do your rock work so it don't happen again when you turn everything up on power.and be careful getting the white sand poweder off your glass don't use a magnet cleaner there a good chance of a scratch maybe squeegee or a real clean cloth hth don

Back