There is plenty of talk about silicate and Dino on Reef forums without providing any scientific evidence, and I yet to find a scientific paper that indicates silicate can promote dino growth. There are evidence that silicate is consumed by diatom however.
Silicate actually is an important nutrient for sponge.
Randy wrote about dosing silicate and there was no evidence that it could cause dino growth.
Just my two cents and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I am confusing the silicate with diatoms not Dino’s but Dino’s consume diatoms so the silicate still could be the problem [emoji2957]

Dinos are protist organizum. They are an animal not an algea (sorry dong). They get confused because they feed using photosynthesis. But they are not the same. Because of this they need co2 and light to eat. They often go hand and hand with low ph. Heavy oxygenation will help. But in order to kill them long turm you need to out compete them and consume them. Both done with bacteria. Problem is that after they are eaten they are basicaly digested back into nutrients and put back into the water. Thats y denitrofiying bacteria is added. One bacteria eats them while the other cleans up nutrients that eating them causes.

IMG_9172.jpg

The classification of many marine species can be confusing.

Well after this one we will all be refreshed on our scientific knowledge about dinos. And now I got to go look up diotoms too. Heres to knowledge and the fundamental scientific practice that is debate! Thanks for the interesting thoughts @dz6t and @jsak1976 obviously passion for our hobby leads to informative reef talk

Here is what I posted before about my battle with dino, this was back in 2016. - http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/index.php?threads/dinoflagellates.151731/

I had about a year long battle, tried gfo and it actually increased it. What I ended up doing is filter socks and change them every other day. I would do a water change sucking out as much as I could then go to an immediate lights out for 3 days, black the entire tank out so no light gets in. I used heavy duty trash bags, this also includes the sump if you have glass doors. I had to be careful as I have a gigantea so go extended lights out was something I preferred not to do, so I would do this once a month. I could see them fading but it was taking a while. I did this for months at end, I was getting ahead of them but slowly. At the end I was pretty much lights out for 3 days then on for two. That is what got me ahead of them from what I could see. I would still suck out as much as I could before lights out. I did have some recession do to the Dino's and also the lights out had caused some issues with other corals, my gigantea had shrunk. Since I've been feeding the anemone every other day or so and things are bouncing back. It's been about two months and I have not seen any Dino's in sight. I'm still going light on water changes right now until I know for sure that they are completely eradicated.

- Someone mentioned adding algea to a refugium that helped control his bryopsis outbreak-

Dino is nothing like bryopsis, they're called "the herpes of reefing" for a reason. The reason for the lights out is that dinos can strive in a nutrient poor tank and do the same in a high nutrient tank. No one really knows what they need to thrive other than light hence the lights out. Even at that it will take a while to get them in check and not sure if they will be completely eradicated.

Here is what I posted before about my battle with dino, this was back in 2016. - http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/index.php?threads/dinoflagellates.151731/

I had about a year long battle, tried gfo and it actually increased it. What I ended up doing is filter socks and change them every other day. I would do a water change sucking out as much as I could then go to an immediate lights out for 3 days, black the entire tank out so no light gets in. I used heavy duty trash bags, this also includes the sump if you have glass doors. I had to be careful as I have a gigantea so go extended lights out was something I preferred not to do, so I would do this once a month. I could see them fading but it was taking a while. I did this for months at end, I was getting ahead of them but slowly. At the end I was pretty much lights out for 3 days then on for two. That is what got me ahead of them from what I could see. I would still suck out as much as I could before lights out. I did have some recession do to the Dino's and also the lights out had caused some issues with other corals, my gigantea had shrunk. Since I've been feeding the anemone every other day or so and things are bouncing back. It's been about two months and I have not seen any Dino's in sight. I'm still going light on water changes right now until I know for sure that they are completely eradicated.

- Someone mentioned adding algea to a refugium that helped control his bryopsis outbreak-

Dino is nothing like bryopsis, they're called "the herpes of reefing" for a reason. The reason for the lights out is that dinos can strive in a nutrient poor tank and do the same in a high nutrient tank. No one really knows what they need to thrive other than light hence the lights out. Even at that it will take a while to get them in check and not sure if they will be completely eradicated.

It’s to bad you didn’t use some live phyto and pods my battle only lasted about 2 months and I didn’t need to do any black outs. About a yr now that I’ve had any Dino’s.

Who was talking about bryopsis?

Well after this one we will all be refreshed on our scientific knowledge about dinos. And now I got to go look up diotoms too. Heres to knowledge and the fundamental scientific practice that is debate! Thanks for the interesting thoughts @dz6t and @jsak1976 obviously passion for our hobby leads to informative reef talk

So I’m still confused are Dino’s an algae or not? Lol

First time I’ve heard them referred to as “the herpes of reefing” lol

First time I’ve heard them referred to as “the herpes of reefing” lol

Someone called them that on RC while I was doing research on how to combat them. Its pretty true, about 3 years latter I still see some of the silver bubbles here and there that are part of dinos. I just suck them out when I see them. I'll never sell or trade anything out of my tank just in fear that I might spread it to someone else's tank

My understanding of dinos is its part of a seawater biotope. It’s always present but needs certain conditions to flourish.

Back