CO2 affects pH in people, too

KAS

Always learning
Friday we had a scare with our son, who turned out fine, but there's actually a connection to reefing. His school called to say that he was ill and I needed to pick him up. By the time I got there, he just wasn't himself, and getting worse. When I suggested I bring him to his pediatrician, the school nurse said no, we're going to call an ambulance. He was barely responsive, and his eyes weren't focusing. We lucked out getting an EMT that Kyle knew from Scouting, and the staff at Emerson Hospital further calmed him down, gave him fluids, and took blood samples. (To hear Kyle tell it, they drained his blood.) Within twenty minutes, he was good enough that there was no short-term concern.

Here's the reefing part. The doctor said the most likely cause was high blood pH from an anxiety attack. In response to such an attack, the body may either take deep, raspy breaths or quick, shallow breaths. In either case, CO2, which is prevelant in the lungs, is forced out. As those of us with calcium reactors can guess, this raises the blood's pH. (The doctor was amazed I was following his explanation, and thought I was a nurse - I didn't bother to explain.) It turns out that muscles and the nervous system are quite sensitive to pH, and a small change can result in inability to stand, to grasp, or to keep the eyes steady and focused. That's why breathing into a paper bag works when you feel faint. What you're really doing is restoring the CO2 level in your lungs, and your body does the rest.

Who would've thought that understanding the effects of CO2 in a reef tank would help me understand what happens during an anxiety attack?

-Karen

KAS, I'm glad that your son is doing well.
Interesting, I remember my mother forcing me to drink milk because Calcium
was necessary to grow. I guess you can compare to corals and how they require calcium also.

Take it easy,
Gil

Glad to hear he is ok!
I thought I was about the read the effects of the co2 from the reactor

Glad all ended up okay. Sorry to hear though.

I believe the short breaths result in the opposite though if I correctly remember my Dive certification classes. Short breaths do not effectively purge your lungs of CO2 and thus lowers your bloods pH. This is because the short quick breaths do not allow one to inhale/exhale a full breath so the partially full lungs upon inhaling are full of CO2, the result of the lungs processing, but not expunging.

Glad things are okay Karen. Reefing sure does expand your knowledge.

It's true CO2 is effectively reduced in panic attacks/hyperventilation.

Thanks everyone for your concern. Honestly, I don't EVER want to go through that again. It was a bit comforting, though, that I could somewhat understand what happened physically. The hardest part, though, is the fact that you can't predict when it is going to happen (or why). Today is a new day though, and I am hoping it was a one time event.

Keith, you may be right, the pH may move in a different direction depending on the abnormal breathing pattern.
-Karen

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back