Coco Worm Emergency?

Silvio

Non-member
I have had a coco worm for about 3 weeks now. When it extends out of the tube it appears to have 2 feathery "heads". It has stayed inside it's tube for the last 3 days. (Based on the 1st 2.5 weeks, this seemed odd.) I tried to feed it cyclopeze last night. Tonight, to my horror, I saw an inch long piece to the feathery worm part on the sand near the tube! Inside the tube, there it more "feathery worm". Were there 2 worms inside the tube? Why did one leave? Will it survive? What shout I do?

Here is a picture:

As I yunderstand it they can come out of their tubes and find a new home and build a new tube, but it is a pretty bad sign.

It may have dropped it's feathers. They do this, usually not a great sign. In some cases they abandon their tube if they do not like where it is & create a new tube.
But many simply regrow new "plumes" and are fine

I've had them drop there "heads" before. Usualy a sign of stress but I believe it can also be a sign of growth in the worm. There is only 1 worm and the 2 heads you see are really it's form of gills. I believe cyclopeeze is to large for the co co worm to filter feed on.

HI Silvio, just dont disturb it it should be fine my tube anemone has done that a few times in the past although not the same animal, but with tubing animals I believe if they are unhappy where they are they will come out of the tube and go elsewhere to build another tube mine always within a couple inches of where he left ( dont know why?)
PS that tang looks familiar? hows he doing?

Hi Dawn,

Hippo is doing great. Occasionally, he lets his tank mates get some food. Thanks for the advice.

Back