Coldwater tank

I have kept a lot more too, species from south of the cape don’t really need a chiller at all as long as your room is air conditioned in summer and not overheated in winter. Scup Black Sea Bass Tautog Naked Gobies Oyster Toadfish, all make great tank pets as small juveniles. The Naked Goby can be kept in a pico or nano since they won’t get larger than 1.5 inches. For fish up North of Cape, juvenile winter flounder are the best!!! What an awesome fish that takes well to captivity. Feed mysis and they excel. Grubby Sculpins from nearshore harbors and estuaries are great too. An eel trap is all you would need to collect most of those fish.

what tank did you put this is it sounds cool
I had the Astrangia in an unheated 75 gallon and a 55. I had the chain dogfish in a 75 with aragonite seafloor special grade as a sandbed. That tank was chilled to 66. The biggest hurdle to overcome is don’t overstock the tank or overfeed and keep up on regular maintenance, clean skimmer, water changes clean mechanical filters... the normal stuff. The Nitrogen Cycle is slower in cooler water.

I went tide pooling with my kids yesterday and we caught a small American eel. We brought him home and have him in a small 10g tank in the basement. Probably 4-5 inches long. Anyone with a cold water tank want him?

Any updates
Tank is running smooth but new England’s strict collection laws have the stocking going painfully slow as the vendors aren’t well stocked or quick to ship/respond. If you want to see a hobby in its infancy try coldwater marine aquaria haha miserable amount of resources. If I was to eat the animals I could take multiples everyday. Offer a single specimen refuge for life and it is illegal. Also makes it sketchy to get items second hand off of other hobbiest and then not know how it was sourced and then to post about it and find out it’s something they poached would be sh!***. It’s sort of like owning a reef in Hawaii its just not something the government wants you to do. I have an anemone coming in from Maine but it has taken two weeks just for the guy to collect it. Still waiting on a shipping confirmation. It is even illegal to take invasive non-native species. F***ing lobbyists

Forgot to mention I have been tidepooling and instead of collecting the specimen I am noting that I found it and then will ethically source the critter. So far I have found glass shrimp, green crabs, micro brittle stars, hermit crabs, gold star tunicates, coral crust, white crust, endless macros, endless snails(periwinkles and limpets are on my want list). For the deep water specimens/ hard to find like anemones I will just order without finding but I want to be able to say I “found” most of what’s in my tank. The problem is to acquire such a list of animals it would cost hundreds of dollars for things that basically cook in a tidepool everyday. Pretty degrading really but it is a blast and my kids love it.
Basically I try finding everything listed on this site

Tank is running smooth but new England’s strict collection laws have the stocking going painfully slow as the vendors aren’t well stocked or quick to ship/respond. If you want to see a hobby in its infancy try coldwater marine aquaria haha miserable amount of resources. If I was to eat the animals I could take multiples everyday. Offer a single specimen refuge for life and it is illegal. Also makes it sketchy to get items second hand off of other hobbiest and then not know how it was sourced and then to post about it and find out it’s something they poached would be sh!tty. It’s sort of like owning a reef in Hawaii its just not something the government wants you to do. I have an anemone coming in from Maine but it has taken two weeks just for the guy to collect it. Still waiting on a shipping confirmation. It is even illegal to take invasive non-native species. F***ing lobbyists
Curious, what agency told you that you could not take tidepool animals, and in what state did you try collecting in? As far as I know, and I have intimate knowledge of this topic, you can take any critter of any size unless there are size and bag limit restrictions (fisheries laws) that govern that species on the books. So, you either got bad info from someone or live in a very unfortunate place. I hope it is not a local (municipal) employee who told you these things. They cannot exert that kind of control. At least in MA... If you want to collect juveniles of regulated species in MA and need help, I might be able to help you accomplish that legally, yourself. You need to ask for a ten dollar scientific collection permit from MA Division of Marine Fisheries. They will ask what species and how many you plan to collect. Give an accurate accounting and reason for collection and you should be good. They may ask you how you plan to collect them too, just be honest. Dip nets and hands don’t scare the fisheries agencies.

Curious, what agency told you that you could not take tidepool animals, and in what state did you try collecting in? As far as I know, and I have intimate knowledge of this topic, you can take any critter of any size unless there are size and bag limit restrictions (fisheries laws) that govern that species on the books. So, you either got bad info from someone or live in a very unfortunate place. I hope it is not a local (municipal) employee who told you these things. They cannot exert that kind of control. At least in MA... If you want to collect juveniles of regulated species in MA and need help, I might be able to help you accomplish that legally, yourself. You need to ask for a ten dollar scientific collection permit from MA Division of Marine Fisheries. They will ask what species and how many you plan to collect. Give an accurate accounting and reason for collection and you should be good. They may ask you how you plan to collect them too, just be honest. Dip nets and hands don’t scare the fisheries agencies.
I wish you were right but sometimes ignorance is bliss?

I wish you were right but sometimes ignorance is bliss?
Hi Granite,
I know the laws you just posted the link to. You should note that there are no laws governing marine species. Division of Fish and Wildlife only regulates inland species on land and freshwater bodies. Division of Marine Fisheries regulates the seagoing critters you want and the rules apply that I mentioned in my previous post. There may or may not be cross references to the scientific permit online and the rules I mentioned. You should only need that if seeking to keep undersized regulates species, like a tiny flounder... You will be fine collecting marine tidepool animals in small quantities. No Environmental Police will be stopping you or asking questions. Call MA DMF to clarify if you are nervous. They will answer your question. Enjoy. I do.

Back