Pacifc Coldwater Marine Aquarium keeper, anyone here keep Northwest Atlantic species?

AquaticEngineer

Non-member
Hi all, I was referred to your site by one of my friends who lives in Boston and is setting up a reef tank.

I collect and keep native fish and invertebrates from the Northeast Pacific and was asking my friend about some of the fish native to your area of the Atlantic, specifically the Northern Lined Seahorse (H. Erectus). He told me I should check you guys out since someone here breeds them.

I found out that someone is Kiah and I sent her a PM already :D

So I thought I should formally introduce myself to you all before I start bombarding people who dont know me with PM's full of questions, lol.

My name is Stu and I've been keeping marine fish and inverts for about 20 years now. For the past 2 years I've been keeping nothing but fish and inverts native to my coastline and collecting them all myself.

I have a combined 325 gallon system that has a 200 gallon main display tank (60"x20"x36") a 110 gallon modified ML24BW1 tank I use as a secondary display/sump, and a 20 gallon flow through display tank that right now I am keeping a juvenile Giant Pacific Octopus in. Here's a picture of the system, I've re-arranged it a bit since this was taken but you get the idea ;)
IMG_20111031_183444.jpg

If there is anyone here that keeps any coldwater species or does any collecting in the New England area I would love to get in contact with you :D

Hello,

My name is Vin and I do keep local marinelife as well as a reef. I do collect, am a diver and have the capacity (boat, truck equipment (fishing gear and collecting gear) to provide collections. I love the hobby and would take the opportunity next time I am out to try to catch / collect something if you are interested in funding shipment and a little contribution depending on how much or what you want specifically. Gas is expensive! So is shipping! I also know someone that can provide most anything you want for a price (pretty steep). Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole (Falmouth, MA) will collect and ship live inverts and smaller fish for a fee (pretty high) and doesn't publish prices at the Marine Resource Center Website, you have to contact them. The website is easy to find. What would you want? I have experience with many forms of local NW Atlantic life in aquaria and through my work. I live on Buzzards Bay. Send me a pm or post here.

Very nice tank by the way!

I studied in Friday Harbor at UW for a couple of semesters, and logged over 250 dives in the archipelago. Also spent my honeymoon on San Juan. Beautiful area, state and underwater life. I would live there in a heartbeat if I could take the family with me. Local tanks with macroalgae are awesome.:)

Is that strawberry anemone, Cornyactis californica, and do you have a grunt sculpin of your own? (Rhamphocottus richardsoni?)

Welcome to the BRS and that is cool!

Thanks!

Send me a pm or post here.
PM headed your way.

I studied in Friday Harbor at UW for a couple of semesters, and logged over 250 dives in the archipelago. Also spent my honeymoon on San Juan. Beautiful area, state and underwater life. I would live there in a heartbeat if I could take the family with me. Local tanks with macroalgae are awesome.:)
I would LOVE to live up there too, maybe someday..... after the 3 kids are out of the house in 18 years, lol. Until then, living just outside of Portland is good enough for me :)

Is that strawberry anemone, Cornyactis californica, and do you have a grunt sculpin of your own? (Rhamphocottus richardsoni?)
It is :D I have A LOT of them now. That was my grunt sculpin, lost him a little over a month ago, but there will be more now that I have 2 confirmed dive sites in Oregon that they are found at. Let me know if you want any cornyactis for your tanks, I'm sure we can work out some kind of trade :D

Welcome! Its so cool to see a completely different aspect of reef-keeping. Whats the story behind the Pacfic Octopus? How long have you had him and how do you feed him?

Welcome! Its so cool to see a completely different aspect of reef-keeping. Whats the story behind the Pacfic Octopus? How long have you had him and how do you feed him?
I've had him for almost 6 months now. I feed him as many shore brands as he wants, which is a lot, lol.

How cold do you need to keep the water at? What is that green anemone? Welcome to BRS

Welcome to the BRS!! I hope you have more pics to share!! Those are gorgeous nems!! We dive up in Rockport and the marine life is so incredibly amazing, I would love to have a cold water tank to take things home.

Hi all, I was referred to your site by one of my friends who lives in Boston and is setting up a reef tank.

I collect and keep native fish and invertebrates from the Northeast Pacific and was asking my friend about some of the fish native to your area of the Atlantic, specifically the Northern Lined Seahorse (H. Erectus). He told me I should check you guys out since someone here breeds them.

I found out that someone is Kiah and I sent her a PM already :D

So I thought I should formally introduce myself to you all before I start bombarding people who dont know me with PM's full of questions, lol.

My name is Stu and I've been keeping marine fish and inverts for about 20 years now. For the past 2 years I've been keeping nothing but fish and inverts native to my coastline and collecting them all myself.

I have a combined 325 gallon system that has a 200 gallon main display tank (60"x20"x36") a 110 gallon modified ML24BW1 tank I use as a secondary display/sump, and a 20 gallon flow through display tank that right now I am keeping a juvenile Giant Pacific Octopus in. Here's a picture of the system, I've re-arranged it a bit since this was taken but you get the idea ;)
IMG_20111031_183444.jpg

If there is anyone here that keeps any coldwater species or does any collecting in the New England area I would love to get in contact with you :D

I probably can arrange something for u...Kia is "Michelle"....BTW.. (& she is into it bigtime I believe) Vinny Is another local reefer with multiple tanks too...Both good people!!

Back