Comments on this overflow

Fat Guy

Non-member
d7_1_b.JPG

Anybody out there ever use this as an overflow? Seems like a sketchy alternative.

Well... if the water is coming down into the overflow via the 90 on the bottom right, it's exactly the bubble trap design we've been talking about on another thread in this forum: "How to quiet bubbles in the sump overflow" [or something like that]. But I can't really tell what the contraption is at the top. Do you know?

On the bubble trap we've been discussing, and that I use right now in my own sump... the water comes down into the sump via that 90 on the right, and at the top of the vent tube is a cap with a valve to control the rate of air escaping (and noise) from the tube.

Not sketchy at all... just someone marketing what lots of people have been making up themselves with regular old PVC. Better to make it yourself because there's no gurantee, based on the velocity of the water entering your particular sump, that you won't need a different sump feed tube to vent tube ratio (vent tube always being at least one size larger than the feed tube) to cure your system's noise and bubble issues.

bec

Now I'm not sure (I'm really new to plumbing a sump), but looking at those slits in the top of the main tube there (not the 90 degree branch on right), I think this thing just sits right in one's tank and the water overflows those teeth and goes down the center tube. Am I wrong? I'm trying to figure this out. What would the branch be used for?

This thing doesn't go behind an overflow in a reef-ready tank, right?

Moe_K said:
Now I'm not sure (I'm really new to plumbing a sump), but looking at those slits in the top of the main tube there (not the 90 degree branch on right), I think this thing just sits right in one's tank and the water overflows those teeth and goes down the center tube. Am I wrong? I'm trying to figure this out. What would the branch be used for?

This thing doesn't go behind an overflow in a reef-ready tank, right?

thats a surface skimmer made by hagen i think.
it is designed to be used with a power filter (the hang on bio wheel type)
if i recall the side tube model pictured is to be hooked up to a powerhead that recycles the protiens collected on the top of the water and sent back into the water column. ~10-20.00

Hmm... good point Moe. That's why I asked... I can't firgure out what's going on up there. I'm just so used to seeing that general plumbing configuration at this point that I assumed someone is marketing the new bubble trap.

Fat Guy - where did you get that shot?

b

not a bad idea for a nano where a big overflow box looks out of place, but certainly not able to handle 750gph.

Yeah, that's where I'm lost. It's for tanks that aren't drilled. I think you hook a powerhead up to this.

reefnroll. THanks for the info!!

Scott is correct, it is a surface skimmer... I bought one to use with my DIY nano-skimmer, the idea was to feed surface water (along with the film/stuff that collects at the surface) to the skimmer to increase its effectiveness.

The transparent "thing" at the top is basically a miniature circular overflow with teeth. The "stick" coming out on the top is a way to adjust how much water is fed from the top overflow vs. from the bottom opening (which can be closed all the way). The water then exits at the elbow on the right, pulled by a powerhead.

I ended up not setting it up, if you want it let me know (I'll sell it for $5 or trade for a frag or something).

Nuno

reefnroll said:
Hmm... good point Moe. That's why I asked... I can't firgure out what's going on up there. I'm just so used to seeing that general plumbing configuration at this point that I assumed someone is marketing the new bubble trap.

Fat Guy - where did you get that shot?

b

I was searching ebay for overflow's and that came up.

This is NOT an overflow. I looked into it before. It is a surface skimmer.

Back