Confused By BT Anemone Behavior Recently

wolffman1992

Non-member
Hey Everyone,

I have kept anemones for quite some time and know their requirements and needs however I am confused by the behavior of a new addition to my tank. About 3 weeks ago I bought a small rainbow anemone and placed him in a location I thought would be suitable as it was up high in the tank for light and had porous rock for its foot. Sure enough the BTA settled in and opened up and was taking food. About two weeks into getting it I upgraded my lights to Hydras and ever since the BTA has not opened up fully. It sticks a few tentacles out but thats all. Color is vibrant and it seems healthy except for the fact it won't fully open it. All my params are in check, all my other inhabitants including all my sps is doing well. Its beyond the "settling in phase." Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1375.JPG
    IMG_1375.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 167
It could be adjusting to the light. Give it some time

That's what I am hoping like I said the coloration it has makes it look healthy, I've seen what happens from too little light.

You can also see if it is sticky or not when it has some tips out

I got a rainbow BTA in January. Did the same as you. He moved to the back of the tank. In a crevasse an once in a great while I would see enough of him to give him a squirt of food. I did make sure I gave the tank a dose of filter feeder food and sent some his way when I couldn't reach him with mysis and other tasty morels. They are moody. He finally has decided it's ok to come out front and has been wide open. Give him time :) as long as the color is good, I wouldn't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could try and put something up and try to shade it a bit? If it comes out you know it's getting to much light or still adjusting to it?
Were you running leds before the switch?

Yeah I was running a deep blue dx which had 48 lights 3watts each around 140 watts and a marine current orbit which was 40 watts. I saw great sps growth with them and the bta was open then but since I've put the hydras up its been doing it so it probably is adjusting to the lights

I have had one for a couple years. It use to look like a long tentacle with how big it would get and sway in the water. Then on day it shrunk up at night like always and hasn't opened up huge in months. Still eats and is hosted by my clown. Just had short little nubs as bubble tips now. Reading online I found that sometimes they do it and nobody really seems to know why.

But I digress. Seems like yours is probably just adjusting.

Back