Rather confused

Leadfootedracer

Non-member
So, my tank has had water in it for 2 full weeks now. Dry sand. Dry rock. I am testing using api (yes, I know, but it’s all I had on hand). I am on day 3 of the diatom bloom (holy crap this stuff is ugly) and I am thinking it’s time to add a couple critters.

The brown algae has began creating small bubbles on its surface, and the ammonia levels are on the decline. I am partially color blind, so I am having a rough time deciphering between .25 and 0 ppm of ammonia. NitrIte is definitely at .50ppm, NitrAte is between 0 and 5ppm.

This weekend (today being Thursday) I intend on doing a 25% WC to knock the salinity into place. Not sure how it got so high, but I mismeasured somewhere when making the initial batch of water.

The internet is full of personal experience and misguided information.

Is it too soon for a few inverts? I’m not looking to fully stock the tank with snails, but I am under the impression now is a decent time to pick up a few and let them start doing their thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you added any bacteria?
I know I wouldn’t add anything until ammonia is absolutely 0.
Normal cycle is 1 month but by adding bacteria it can be shortened.

Have you added any bacteria?
I know I wouldn’t add anything until ammonia is absolutely 0.
Normal cycle is 1 month but by adding bacteria it can be shortened.

Yes. I added some bacteria the day I put the water in the tank.

I personally would wait for after the diatoms for inverts. They won’t eat the diatoms or help clean the mess. After diatoms is normally some green algae so that’s when I personally add snails/hermits.

If you used bacteria the. I would say add some hearty fish first. Then inverts when the bubbles go away.

Well, it’s Saturday morning. Heading to the LFS in about an hour to pickup some water and see what they’ve got in stock for livestock.

Tested the water just now, and it’s looking better.

pH 8.2
Ammonia 0ppm
NO2 .25ppm
NO3 0ppm

Salinity is still off, since I haven’t done the water change. I will have that situated before adding anything to the tank, anyway.

It looks like the diatoms stopped reproduction or whatever it is. Blew some off a rock the other night and they haven’t come back to that spot.

It doesn't sound like you have cycled your tank yet. Did you add any food (ammonia) for your bacteria? When cycling tanks (SW or FW) I add ammonia (in the form of aqueous ammonium chloride) to approximately 2-3 ppm. I continue adding NH4Cl over a couple weeks until all the ammonium added is converted to nitrate.

It doesn't sound like you have cycled your tank yet. Did you add any food (ammonia) for your bacteria? When cycling tanks (SW or FW) I add ammonia (in the form of aqueous ammonium chloride) to approximately 2-3 ppm. I continue adding NH4Cl over a couple weeks until all the ammonium added is converted to nitrate.

Yes. I added bacteria and fed the tank food for a few days. The ammonia peaked a week ago and has been on a steady decline since. Today is the first day it reads a definite 0ppm.

Well, it’s been roughly another week. Water tested perfect just a few moments ago. No signs of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. The 6 astrea snails I bought last weekend, and the 5 nassarius snails all are doing well. The astreas are doing a good job cleaning up the diatoms and keeping the glass clean. It’s only been 3 weeks, total. I’m not rushing things, but I think it’s ready for a pair of clowns.

I had 2 clowns in my tank in a week and a half lol
There’s a lot of variables now a days and the bacteria definitely speeds it up

Back