Congratulations, Reefkeeper2!

Thanks again all. I'm really honored by the response.
Joel, It's more the lighting than the plumbing I'm thinking about. I also need to decide if I want a frag tank connected to the main system. There are benifits and drawbacks.
John, I was using vodka because of the large amount of food I was adding to the tank to keep non-photosynthetic corals. EventuallyI found the vodka alone could not do the job. I'm no longer feeding as much, so it's not as much of an issue. The denitrator is very efficient. I just set it and forget it, like a calcium reactor.

Fyi

Seems like it would be a fairly efficient set-up, only issue is whether or not your existing return pump is strong enough or if you'd have to utilize a different one to do the job.

On that note...

Paul,

What's your sump turnover rate? IIRC, I thought you said that you wanted to up it a bit. The people at Reeflo told me that if I ever wanted to increase my flow rate, not that I'd ever need to, all I'd have to do is switch to a larger impeller. There's no need to buy a new pump for more gph. The Tarpon, Wahoo and Marlin are all the same pump, the difference between them is the size of the impeller.

Hmmm, why is there a difference in wattage? I know that if I choke back the output of the wahoo, the wattage it uses goes down as the impellar spins more slowly. If the new impellar is going to move more water, it'going to spin faster with the same motor? I didn't do that well in physics:D I don't think I would change the flow in the main tank. I would just plumb the flow that comes out of the carbon reactor to the frag tank. Then I would have an overflow from the tank back to the sump. No new pump needed.:D

Hmmm, why is there a difference in wattage? I know that if I choke back the output of the wahoo, the wattage it uses goes down as the impellar spins more slowly. If the new impellar is going to move more water, it'going to spin faster with the same motor? I didn't do that well in physics:D I don't think I would change the flow in the main tank. I would just plumb the flow that comes out of the carbon reactor to the frag tank. Then I would have an overflow from the tank back to the sump. No new pump needed.:D

Yeah, the lower the watt draw the better. ;)

The pump wants to spin @ 1725 revolutions/min. The smaller the impeller, the fewer watts it takes for the pump to achieve that. The larger the impeller, the more juice it takes to reach 1725 revs. They also suggested not throttling the pumps down too much because at a certain point, you reduce the motor's efficiency. IIRC, they said no more than a 1/4 turn. But don't hold me to that. :)

I kinda don't know what to say for all the compliments. Thank you all. I felt I had to mention the BRS in the write up because everyone I have met in the club have been such great people, and it does so much for the advancment of the hobby.

i just think it's an amazing accomplishment...

with all of the people over on RC, and all of the beautiful tanks you see from all different parts of the country, and even in other countries like Italy and Germany... it's so awesome to have someone with a comparable tank right here in my own back yard.

Has anyone else from the BRS ever had this honor?

it's so awesome to have someone with a comparable tank right here in my own back yard.
You will just have to come over and see it then Joel. And that goes double for Daniel who started this thread.

Back