Coral inspection tools?

JasonandSarah

Non-member
What do people use to inspect incoming corals? I'm specifically asking for thoughts on AEFW (and eggs) inspection but wouldn't mind hearing about all the tools people use.
I was looking at jewelers looms and magnifying glasses w/led?

Like these? Definitely think I'd like the hands free ones. uploadfromtaptalk1429095081047.jpg

Bayer insecticide. Haha!
Seriously though I don't feel confident enough to spot all nasties with any amount of observation.

Bayer insecticide. Haha!
Seriously though I don't feel confident enough to spot all nasties with any amount of observation.
I also use bayer! Must have for any new comers imo. But as far as I know bayer doesn't kill AEFW Eggs. So all the bayer in the world won't help us there!
I can't wait till we move so I can set up my coral Qt tank.

Nice specs! Will turn us into super fish nerd lol.
Bayer won't kill the eggs, but you can always snip off the base/plug where the eggs are laid of the SPS and throw it out.

I have an inexpensive (cheap) pair of those glasses with the led lights. I found them difficult to wear, and the lights wouldn't stay on for me. If you buy a good pair, it probably works better. I ended up buying a magnifying glass from the hobby store. I went with the 16x that stamp collectors use. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but it works well. If you want to keep your hands free, get the lamp/magnifier that crafters use. There is always a 40% off coupon for those stores.

I have an inexpensive (cheap) pair of those glasses with the led lights. I found them difficult to wear, and the lights wouldn't stay on for me. If you buy a good pair, it probably works better. I ended up buying a magnifying glass from the hobby store. I went with the 16x that stamp collectors use. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but it works well. If you want to keep your hands free, get the lamp/magnifier that crafters use. There is always a 40% off coupon for those stores.
Those are the other ones I was looking at. Thought it'd be nice to just clip it to the tank and inspect throughly. I found them on Ebay for 10$
They also have a really cool jewelers loom that attaches to your phones camera. Thought this was really cool because if you find anything, you can just snap a pic for ID. Only found it for the iPhone so far though :mad:

I am strangely amused and intrigued by this thread! Lol. I always just dip in CoralRX because I wouldn't know what i'm looking for anyways lol. I'd probably let the coral dry out for the hour i'd spend looking for things that aren't there.

I am strangely amused and intrigued by this thread! Lol. I always just dip in CoralRX because I wouldn't know what i'm looking for anyways lol. I'd probably let the coral dry out for the hour i'd spend looking for things that aren't there.
Maybe we need to get a faster, easier way to detect and find AEFW and Red bugs?
Stick it in the test water and it turns blue? Kinda like those kids that pee in the public pool? Lol jk would be cool though!

Maybe we need to get a faster, easier way to detect and find AEFW and Red bugs?
Stick it in the test water and it turns blue? Kinda like those kids that pee in the public pool? Lol jk would be cool though!

Well when you do a coral dip they do tend to die and fall off the frag which is essentially the same idea. ;-)

Back