coral not looking too good

Dp11

Non-member
I'm wondering if anyone knows whats happening to this coral, everything else looks good in the tank
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0845_2.jpg
    IMG_0845_2.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 305
It is dying., sorry to say that and most likely won't make it.
BUT, please don't toss the skeleton away. New babies will likely to grow on the dead mother plate. Actually, that is how people aquaculture plate corals. they kill the mother so that new babies can grow on the dead mother.

It is dying., sorry to say that and most likely won't make it.
BUT, please don't toss the skeleton away. New babies will likely to grow on the dead mother plate. Actually, that is how people aquaculture plate corals. they kill the mother so that new babies can grow on the dead mother.

I'll be checking parameters tomorrow. is there anything I could do? Should I just leave it in the same place in the tank? And any idea why it's dying

Just leave it alone because there are really nothing you can do at this point. By luck, the flesh may stop rotting but the chance is not good because there are multiple areas are rotting. Sorry if I sound too harsh.
But look at it another way, it may be a new begining of many new life. I saw a dead plate keep poping new babies and the owner was sick and tire of little plates all over his tank.

Have you let sand cover it for a bit? I've found if sand is blowing on it and coving it will start to decline.

I haven't seen any fish nipping, there was a little sand on it I think a snail or crab kicked it up a bit

It's dead,that is skeleton there.
I know,had one die just like that.

+1 to Bobbofin said.
Sand getting on a fungia will start to kill it.

the alk of 6 would have done it

you might read up on two part dosing, (less expensive)

others should chime in, but I think it is just sodium bicarbonate?

I don't think the sand is your problem. Plate corals can inflate and deflate themselves to "unbury" themselves out of the sand.

Took longer than I thought to get these. I was told to start adding "reef builder"
Nitrate 2
Ph 8.2
Alk 6
Cal 400
Mag 1250

the alk of 6 would have done it

you might read up on two part dosing, (less expensive)

others should chime in, but I think it is just sodium bicarbonate?

Your alkalinity is definitely low. I keep mine at 7-7.5 dKh and many consider that to be pretty low.

Back