Curious as to how skimmers are being run?

How do you run your protein skimmer? Full Time? Intermittently? If yes, why? If no, why?

• Yes

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
How do you run your protein skimmer. All the time, intermittently, no skimmer. Please leave a comment on your thoughts. I've been reading a bit on running intermittently with great results (SPS Guru's)

New tank (and sort of new to actually "doing" the hobby) but I have been running it full time unless I am doing something where I need to turn it off. It is not pulling much yet. Just two small fish and shrimp's worth of poop every day. That would be a great sitcom: "Two Fish and A Shrimp" , kinda like Three's Company except more pooping.

I run intermittently, usually in the morning for a couple of hours.

I also have a couple of softie tanks where I don't run the skimmer at all.

Last edited:
I used to have mine on a 12hr timer. But I have just added some anthias and I am purposely over feeding to fatten them up. So now its on 24hrs and a little wet.

Before these changes I was running 24/7 with a lighter bioload and less feeding. I had a couple sticks that were a bit pale. My nitrates were too low. For for my system, a 12hr schedule helped color up some acros. Everyone's tank will require a different amount imo.

I run mine 24/7 the only reason I would turn it off would be if I thought it was sucking up live pods and such on there treck from the fuge to The display. I know this isn’t the case since I occasionally find aptasia eating nudities in the dt and I only released them into the fuge.

When I was running a skimmer I had it going 24/7 but I've been skimmerless for a few months and it's awesome. Relying on an oversized refugium for nutrient export. I wad also dosing phyto and when I was doing the phyto every day or two with the refugium I think I cleaned the glass maybe twice a week and the tank has never looked better.

24/7. I only turn it off if the cup is full and I'm lazy that day.

One tank no skimmer. Other tank has it going 24/7 on a very lite skim. Have it mostly for extra oxygen for the fish.

How do you run your protein skimmer. All the time, intermittently, no skimmer. Please leave a comment on your thoughts. I've been reading a bit on running intermittently with great results (SPS Guru's)
I run Full time. I feed a lot and I run a Fresh Airline from the outside to keep my Ph stabilized.

I run my 24/7 except for feeding. 5 fish in a 90gal mixed reef Getting really dark skimmate water in collection cup. Clean cup 2 times week

Back