daily water changes anyone?

JasonandRay

Non-member
hey, i have recently been doing daily water changes to help my tank out a little. I cange 1 gallon a day and its quick and easy. Ever since ive started all my corals have taken off. I also think this helps with the consistency with calc alc and mag. Ive gotten in to a daily routine for this and im not lugging 5gallons of water up and down the stairs. This daily 1 gallon change takes about 15 min .I make up my new water on the weekends. once in a while i do a little more through and get out the syphon, this really even isnt necessary. I just wanted to share what works for Me.

Jason, glad to here this is working out.

I changed to doing weekly, daily would be a little hard on my system and like you I have notice my corals doing about 1000% better.

Its not too much.But i would say that weekly is better that way you let your tank create some good bacteria and when you do the water change you take out the bad bacteria and add essential elements to the water

I do bi-weekly, 10% water changes and it has really halted my skimmer output. The only reason I keep the skimmer is for the added O2 to the system.

But I have a 50 gallon tank, with only 3 fish, so my bio-load in rather small.

My corals are better for it. I am a big believer in more water changes and less equipment, and for me, it's cheaper than buying all that expensive, bulkie energy eating stuff.

A lot of people out here have large (150G+) tanks so water changes can be a hassle.

If it works for you, it can't be bad.

Water goes away every few days. Then you add some more.

*please do not take this post seriously*

FWIW last I heard he runs a continous water change on his system using a dual head peristaltic pump.

I have thought about doing the exact same thing, its good to know that someone else is doing it. I will have to contact him and see if there are any issues with this.

John

I have thought about doing the exact same thing, its good to know that someone else is doing it. I will have to contact him and see if there are any issues with this.

John

i think the only problem would be,
1- the salt hasnt gotten mixed enough and clumps get sucked into the pum causing it to fail

2- if its two seprate pumps one could fail and drain/overflow your tank.

3- sanity

my idea would be cheaper and kinda run like a ato,you ato is shut off, a pump is powered on by float switch un till it reaches a bucket witch is connected to a drain operated by a ball valve, then refills the tank with a new bucket of water until it reaches the tank level. then the timer is shut off and the ato hose back on. not though out too much yet and could use some improvements. but still more parts to fail

I change daily as well. About 1 percent or so, everything seems to be pretty happy. It seems to keep the water params a lot more stable. Ive noticed I keep up with tank maintenance a lot more doing small things daily instead of trying to do it all every week or 2. Its easy to let it build up then procrastinate.

I change daily as well. About 1 percent or so, everything seems to be pretty happy. It seems to keep the water params a lot more stable. Ive noticed I keep up with tank maintenance a lot more doing small things daily instead of trying to do it all every week or 2. Its easy to let it build up then procrastinate.[/QUOTE]

yup tell me about it :D

I was thinking about setting up and auto water change system ,I know saltyolddog does it, I was going to try about 2 gal a day for a total of about 14% a week. Put some pumps on timers and pump out 2 gal then have another pump pump 2 gal back in. This way I would know it is only pumping 2 in and 2 out so I would still be able to tell the amount of evaperation I was haveing. I also think I am going to set up a kalk drip, with a dosing pump running all day, which I hope to get to match evapertaion very closely.

And Joey what good bactiria are you talking about?

Back