DC Pumps?

delta

Impatient Reefer
So what the latest on DC pumps? Who has them and how do you like them?
Lets hear the good, the bad and the ugly?

I don't have it yet but I've planned for a Vortech Vectra L1.
Main advantage for me is noise and the ability to control th flow rate to control the water level instead of using a valve on AC pump

I had a DC jabao 12000 for a year now and still running strong. being said about the DC pump you can control flow and starting very slowly at begining to full force- not just fully force as the AC pump

I can't provide any long term data but I installed a new Waveline DC6000 in my 70 gal in late July I really like it, in fact I just took it out of my existing 70 gal system to install in my new build. If you turn my skimmer off (older Euroreef) you can't hear a thing from my 70 gal system, for my new build I just purchased an Octopus skimmer with a DC pump that's how much I'm sold on DC pumps. So my new system will have both skimmer and return with DC pumps coupled with a Bean drain system it should be dead quiet.

Jim

Last edited:
Mine are both great...... Except that both needed replacement within the 2 year warranties. Mine were both first gen, supposedly the newer ones are better. I have about 1.25 yrs on one of the newer ones and it's still running well and without issue.

which brand pump do you have John?
Mine are both great...... Except that both needed replacement within the 2 year warranties. Mine were both first gen, supposedly the newer ones are better. I have about 1.25 yrs on one of the newer ones and it's still running well and without issue.

switched from a Blueline 70 HD to a Jebao DC9000 to cut the noise and save a little on the energy.....been 6 months and so far no issues

which brand pump do you have John?

I have a RLSS on my skimmer and a RO for my return.

The RLSS just stopped restarting consistently without help. The replacement took months as they were waiting on the second or third gen pumps to come in from China. Once it got it it's been working great but I'm afraid to even use the feed timer so I can't really say that it is starting consistently since I'm scared to shut it off in the first place.

The RO did something strange where it stopped moving water and at the same time started heating the tank like crazy. The replacement on that one also required a wait but not as long, maybe a month. When the replacement came in it had a dead power supply so I had to get that replaced again (luckily at that point I was already starting to accumulate parts so I had one on hand that worked but the plastic housing had seperated) They did send the second replacement power supply express mail so I had it a couple of days.

IMO the RO and RLSS pumps are without a doubt identical except that certain parts are molded in different colored plastic.

All that frustration aside, these pumps are nearly silent, adjustable, and they sip electricity like a Prius with solar panels and a sail driving with a tailwind.

I've had one jabeo dc 12000 first gen about 2 years then the power supply went bad, the power supply was almost the cost of the replacement so I replaced the who unit with another dc 12000. love all the positive features of the dc pump.

I have the jebao dc 6000. Love it. It's quiet and has the 10 minute feed mode. I have a u tube over flow and actually use the feed mode to shut it off while I clean the gunk out and reset the syphon. I have had it 9 months so far no issues what so ever. I'm only using it at 20% power. I bought it because I'm planning to use it on my 90 when I get it going and it can cover a wide range of gph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the RD3 Speedy 230 watt. It's fantastic. I'm waiting for their new high pressure impeller to come out and then it will be even better. For a backup I got the Deepwater DC 15. Not as powerful or well built but will serve for a backup.

I installed the newest Jebao DCS-12000 a week ago, so far no complaints.

I've run the first gen Jebao DC-9000 pumps for the last year with mixed results: solid water flow but one issue of a seized pump.

I'm hoping that more overall flow and a bigger, newer pump will be more reliable in our tank for the next year.

Back