destructive crabs

mvallee

Non-member
I had one of my acropora that was doing really well suddenly start what I thought was bleaching out, it was strange the way it was though because it was only sections and low an behold with a flashlight in the middle of the night found an emerald crab sitting on it munching away, reached in and had to pull the whole coral out to get him but he is my sump now. I still have one more emerald I bought in there but have not seen it in a while so hoping it is fish food.

Now onto the other crab, this one was a hitchiker and showed up on my gatorade birds nest. now this is the first coral I would say has grown from a frag to a mini colony so lots of branches and one day I saw the skin moving, I added a little food and saw this little hairy orange arm come out and the whole thing start moving. I thought I had an acro crab until I noticed some of the interior branches and base stripped to bare white this week. A couple minutes on google and very sure I have Cymo andreossyi.
My plan today is to pull out the colony which is glued to my rockwork so there will be damage and get him off. From what I read it is going to be very difficult so hopefully I can get it off and still have the coral in one piece.

He is a very cool looking crab, covered in what looks like orange hair, they have the nickname teddy bear crab. and although I have yet to confirm they supposedly have blue eyes.

Anyone have any interest if I get him out alive? It would be a cool addition to a Pico tank without acro's.

Here are a couple images I found on the web.

crab.JPGcrab2.JPG

here is one of the descriptions I found; "Very common and is considered a coral symbiont, with the caveat that such symbiosis are a trade off between the coral and the crab, the coral gains protection and house cleaning services while giving up a few polyps, mucus and captured/settled food particles in exhange for those services. A healthy coral should have no problem repairing or replacing lost polyps, but again, in an aquarium environment, an eye should be kept on the coral for excessive damage being done due to the coral being unable to recover as fast or faster than the damage being done by the crab."

If no takers that is the plan, he is so small I would not sump him it could easily hitch hike back in when I pull caulerpa for the tangs or a on a piece of rubble.

thanks for the words of encouragement, "Eggs are possible I suppose" ::

found the other emerald I bought and he got big, unfortunately he is tucked in a crevice and I could not get to him but now that I know he is in there I will be on the lookout.

Investigating the tank in the dark with a bright flashlight was very disappointing. Found a few aiptasia I did not know I had and either a small ball or strawberry anemone. time for some peppermint shrimp I guess :(

well the Teddy bear crab has been caught, unfortunately the Birdsnest is no longer a mini colony but I still have about half intact and 3 decent frags. hopefully everything rebounds.

here are the pieces and you can see the bare skeleton all towards the middle of the pieces
DSCF5485.jpg

and here is the little bugger
DSCF5488.jpgDSCF5489.jpg

it is kinda cute and it does have the blue eyes, you can see it won't let go of that one little piece of the birdsnest, almost feel bad for it.
here is it's new home at least until the wife comes home from work so she can see it, an old gold fish bowl, instant Pico aquarium :rolleyes:
DSCF5493.jpg

and here is the piece the emerald crab was munching on, not much tissue left but I left it intact just to see what would happen.
DSCF5492.jpg

I dipped everything in coral rx, I have heard that is good for healing coral, time will tell.

Yup trust no crabs, my favorite stylo was showing signs of flesh loss at the very bottom and I had recently seen one of my emeralds hanging out in it, but didn't seem to be harming in, but at night he was inviting his 2 buddies to chow down all 3 reside in my sump now and the stylo is just barely recovering it kept receding for about a week before it finally stabilized:(

It is a cool little crab. Too bad they were causing such a problem. If I had some time today I would run up and pick it up. They would be perfect for my little side of the tank.

Back