How destructive a chocolate chip star can be?

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
Well, I'm putting it in the sump/refugium. You dont want to know why. I'll show a picture later. Right now it's in the refugium compartment with the chaeto but it can and probably will crawl to the equipments compartment. You think it will cause any problem?
Pictures will immediately follow.

Actually, it already in the equipments compartment.
60874630._DSC4512copy.jpg

60666495._DSC4459.jpg

60695336._DSC4465.jpg

You get the picture?:eek:

We were sent one accidentally with an order (they never did send out what we actually ordered), and never put it in the tank! They have a bad reputation for a reason. Is that a shrimp it's eating??

Mrs. Delta said:
Is that a shrimp it's eating??

Hahhahahaha, You got this ALL wrong!! The chocolate chip is in the refugium/sump and the shrimp is in the main tank. Nothing in the sump/refugium for the star to harm except my equipments. I just worried that it might plow over some pumps, specifically my skimmer and ca-reactor pump.

I cant tell what happened from the pctures, but im guessing that you were feeding you harlequin shrimp and the opposite happened or something of the sort?

I get it, I had also assumed you were going to show us some terrible destruction that the CC had done to a coral or (gasp) clam.

Yes, the star is the shrimps' food. I actually got a pair of the harlequin shrimp since I read that they do better in pair. People suggested that I freeze the star and feed a leg every 2-3 weeks but I just didnt have the heart to freeze it alive. So I'm putting it inside my ruge/sump and maybe cut a leg evey 2-3 weeks to feed the shrimps. This way the star stays alive for regeneration of the legs. I might get a couple more stars to rotate the legs to give it more time to regenerate. I know it's bad....
As many of you know, I posted up those pesky tiny tiny stars that I have in my tank and I wanted to get rid of them. Well, the pair of harlequin wiped them all out in about 3 nights. Now I only see one or two of those tiny stars occasionally. I'm afraid the shrimps are going to starve and die. So I better feed it their real food. I dont thnk it is that expensive to keep these very cool shrimps. It just wrong that you have to cut other critter legs to feed it...

delta said:
Not a bad subject to photograph either ;)
The star of the shrimps? The star is in my sump which is filled with who knows what, so no good shot. And the shrimps...they just hiding somewhere that I cant get a good shot at. I still see them, but in order to shoot, I have to tilt the lens and such

Like i said...i saw on the Disc Chan that the shrimp won't (err shouldn't) kill a whole star...instead they know to eat one leg at a time and let the star regenerate...

You might want to get a few green serpants which grow rapidly and regenerate quickly..I believe that's what they were eating on the show.

Try that experiment...put the stars in and see if they know enough not to kill them??

Back