DIY cone kit

First swabbie cleaning, and height of the skimmer cup. It doesn't look like it in the pic, but the inside of the neck is quite clean from swabbie cleaning. It's just everywhere else that is all mucked up with skimmate :)

Attachments

• IMG_2422.jpg
    IMG_2422.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_2423.jpg
    IMG_2423.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 492
Last edited by a moderator:
John I hate you... Stop giving this skimmer this much praise you're going to force me to get one :p

Hey, I'm not saying it's got magical powers. Just a nice working skimmer with the benifit of saving $ and getting the chance to build it yourself.

To me, having my hand in the build is a value as I love DIY anything. To some others, that would be a big cost as they might not feel comfortable with building it.

it was using the elmer's when I tried to put my last one together....

nice work John, you had me until you said sicce....

Great pumps, just don't work so well when over-modded.

Hey John, how's this bad boy working for you? I need to do something about a skimmer for the new tank and I really don't feel like putting any money into this Berlin x2 I got with the tank. This is right up my alley as long as it will fit between the baffles in my sump; my concern is width 8x13" is all I have. Thanks, Pat

Disappointing update

OK, so I got 2 years out of it without problems.

Now my swabbie died, motor quit, wore out a gear or something along those lines. I emailed avast and their reply was that I could order an upgrade motor for @$70, and I would have to use a heat gun to break apart the housing, then install the new motor with an adaptor that makes the top 1-2" taller.

Why am I disappointed?
1- Since they came out with the upgrade motor I'd say it's pretty obvious that the original/older model that I purchased is not so reliable and needs replacing - and I have to pay for it?

2- The unit I have fits perfectly under my tank. Add another 1-2" and it will not fit.

Overall the skimmer is still a deal, but I definately don't reccomend the swabbie (or maybe the new version is great, but I'll never know because there is no way I'm spending that extra cash to fix an already expensive gadget that apparently was poorly designed in the first place). IMO if they built it with a crap motor in the first place and now some/many of them are dying, they should stand behind their product and fix it. Call me picky, but they blew my confidence in their products and reputation overall. Come one Avast, you are new enough to this you should be concerned about building a quality reputation. With me, you fail......

I may just end up buying a different skimmer just out of spite :(

Wow, sorry to hear about this situation. Not what I want to hear as my cs1 has been breaking in this past week. After seeing your skimmer and the new "peg leg" version which I have, seems as though they have been changing and revising quite a few items in their line up.

Hey, it's just the swabbie that crapped out, the skimmer has been fine and not had any issues at all.

It's not a total vote of no confidence in the company in general, just a major fail on their customer service and willingness to stand behind a product. I paid enough for the swabbie that I would expect them to fix it when the crappy weak motor failed. If I was the only one with a problem then it could have been some kind of annomoly, but I doubt that they would have changed to a different motor if the one they used originally was adequate.

Edit, correction, it's $55 plus shipping so $70 total not 70 plus shipping.

Here's the PDF on the "upgrade" aka repair.
http://www.avastmarine.com/literature/Swabbie_Motor_Upgrade_v1.0.pdf

Sure screems to me "we did a crappy job on this thing in the first place, no you get to deal with it. Thanks for the money..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like there is some rust in the motor compartment. The height difference looks to me like a seal has been implemented along the shaft to keep the moisture out; I was actually wondering if there was an actual rubber seal along the shaft, as the lid seems to always get the brunt of the sludge/foam from the skimmer...... Is kinda crappy they won't stand behind it. Is this becoming a common issue with the swabbie? It's probably their best selling item too, it's a shame it's not just a bit more durable, considering the environment it's subjected to

Yup, the original version has a seal but apparently that didn't work very well either. I don't know for sure that others are having swabbie problems, but I am assuming since they came out with the "upgrade"/replacement kits. After all, if it ain't broke why fix it?

Hey john is there a way to plumb in the new pump or does it have to plug directly into the bottom of the skimmer? Maybe you could use a different pump. Either way I need a new skimmer and love to do it myself so I might be giving this a try but I would like to know if you think a different pump could be used.

Oh no, the skimmer pump is fine, it's the motor in the Swabbie (self cleaner gadget, wipes down the riser tube in the skimmer) that's the problem.

If you did want to try a different pump, the pump is attached via a uniseal on the bottom of the skimmer. I'm sure you could DIY something to use a different pump but I wouldn't bother, the sicci (spelling?) works fine and seems well matched to this size skimmer. In some cases these pumps have gotten a bad rep for having issues with restarting, but I'm 99% certain that you only get the start up issues when you start playing with custom, larger pin wheels that several companies have been making...

I'm pretty sure it's the same pump as always, psk 1000 IIRC.

o ok cool i must have miss read something, i thought your were talking about the skimmer pump itself. sweet i know where i am getting my new skimmer

Update, more positive response from customer service..

OK, so I need to publicly take a few steps back. Dan from Avast e-mailed me last night saying he had seen this thread, didn't know that I had been disappointed, and offered a less expensive way to fix it. The e-mail was very civil and reasonable. I need to get back to him to figure out exactly what the detials are, but at the very least it looks like they are paying attention and are standing behind their product much more than I had initially thought.

I'll update when I know how exactly this works out, but for now I suspend my criticism and will say I should have given him/them more of a chance in the first place in terms of the Swabbie.

I was reading this thread and was surprised. I have had nothing but good dealings with him, and Avast. I was glad to see that things worked out. My Swabbie is working great, but I know someone who got one at the same time, and he had issues. Both units are about 9mos old.

Back