diy internal overflow baffle

cilyjr

Chris
do you all think having teeth at the top is essential for this? the alternative would be to cut the baffle off at the desired water level and let it poor over "infinity" pool style. i also thought about putting an inlay of egg crate to keep snails out.

The advantage of teeth is that they help to keep fish and such from going over the top.

The advantage to no teeth is a thinner surface skim which is better for feeding the skimmer.

Both are valid options.

If you go no teeth, IMO it's best to go a little big on the size of the overflow box. I say this because when you skip the teeth on a small box relative to the water volume being circulated, it's quite easy for fish to go over the top. By oversizing the box, you get an even thinner skim which makes it all the better for feeding the skimmer, but the thinner the skim, the harder it is for fish to go over.

If you go no teeth, IMO it's best to go a little big on the size of the overflow box. I say this because when you skip the teeth on a small box relative to the water volume being circulated, it's quite easy for fish to go over the top. By oversizing the box, you get an even thinner skim which makes it all the better for feeding the skimmer, but the thinner the skim, the harder it is for fish to go over.

thanks, this is good info. i will be building a 13 inch by 5 1/2 box for a 180gallon tank. my hope would be that the inlay of eggcrate would keep fish in the tank. but we will see

Back