DIY - internal overflow box

dedfish

That's Mr.Murphy to you!
I made a internal overflow box for my 40 breeder today.
IMGP2005.sized.jpg

Cool, looks really good! How did you make the teeth? With a router?

Btw, when I first looked at the picture, the acrylic seemed to have some kind of texture, like sponging paint on a wall... then I realized it's the reflection of your carpet on the acrylic :)

Nuno

Nuno....out of the 3 pics I took this one looks the least wierd. The other 2 are really bad.

I made the teeth by making a template out of a piece of wood with my router. Then just double stick the arcylic to the template and cut away. The bottom is made out of clear acrylic so I can see through it.

Looks good. What are the measurments of the box? Is your tank drilled?

Box is about 10Lx5Wx10H. The tank isn't drilled...yet. I will be drilling it though. Just trying to figure out exactly how many holes and whether or not I want to go over the top with any of them.

Here is the overflow after drilling the two drain holes. It's just test fitted for now. I am trying to decide whether or not to drill 2 more holes inside the overflow for 2 of the OM returns comming out the sides, or go over the top with the sump returns and come out the sides of the overflow. The OM returns could then be placed in each corner. Thoughts?

IMGP2015.sized.jpg

Here it is with the sump returns installed in the side of the box. I am thinking of coming over the top with 1 inch pipe going down into the overflow box and then T to each 3/4" return.
IMGP2017.sized.jpg

I am still trying to decide where to drill the 4 closed loop returns. I am thinking of just drilling those along the top on either side of the overflow box. Any thoughts?

I'd drill them lower so you can obscure the outputs in the rockwork.

The overflow looks great. How did you seal the box to the tank so that it won't leak through the bulkheads?

If I drill them lower wouldn't it blast the back of the rock and cause me to have to keep the rock away from the back wall? I am thinking of installing a spray bar along the bottom under the overflow box as well.

I never thought these decisions were going to be so tough. When you plan it out on paper sometimes the tank looks totally different in person. I need a plumbing mentor! Where is that mentoring thread!

Edit: I'm also going to paint the back wall black so I am hoping the loc-line blends in really well.

I'd drill the outputs low, and use lockline to direct the flow where you want from inside the rockwork. Many people seem to plumb outputs inside rock structures, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Just a thought, make sure you think about what will happen in a powe outage. How much water will drain out and will things get sucked into your returns.

Thanks Cindy. These are for a closed loop so that shouldn't matter. I did decide to go over the top with the sump returns to avoid that problem. :)

I love input and opinions! Lets here them...I'm sure you have time because I'm still sitting here just looking at the tank, still not motivated to do anything.

Back