diy liverock

tdragon

Non-member
has anybody here every made there own rock? if so what did you use to make it? sand?cement?also how long did it take to cure before you put it in the tank? do you have any pice before being in the tank and after?

thanks J

tdragon, although I've never tried it, there is alot of information about this on www.garf.org - and it was to where I was referred when I asked the same question a while back (on that page, look under "How To - Pages" on the left, then "Aragocrete"). It was an interesting premise, but seemed more asthetically pleasing to me to buy "real" live rock (in my case, I bought dry, dead rock and I am currently in the process of "seeding" it with some choice pieces of live rock - it kept the overall cost down and looks like it will work out well for me).

I made some, but Marco's dry rock was a much better choice in the end. Much lighter and easier to aquascape.

I've made a bunch of rock using a recipe similar to what's suggested on the garf page. If you get creative you can make some pretty cool shapes, but it does need to cure for at least a month and ends up being a lot of work.

That said I thought it was fun to make and a cool spring/summer project. If you do try it remember to use some heavy rubber gloves or your hands will be peeling for days (and it doesn't feel very good).

I got the best results mixing in a good porportion of crushed oyster shell and keeping the mix on the dry side so that it's clumpy instead of soupy. The rocks tend to break up somewhat easily if handled roughly but once situated in the tank they don't fall apart.

agway has it. I think people feed it to chickens. I want to say it was $12 for a big bag, but I'm not sure.

I got the crushed oyster shell at a feed supply place right next to the registry of motor vechicles in framingham. I forget the name but I think it's something like "farmers exchance". They have kind of funky hours.

Back