DIY Powerhead Screen

wsonner

Fins To The Left
Just thought I'd pass this small tidbit on....

I have a maxijet 1200 powering my Remora skimmer. I lost the screen to the powerhead and my snails kept getting sucked. So I took the sponge out of my Remora pre-skimmer and cut it in half (since it was more trouble than it was worth in the pre-skimmer). Then i made a nice round hole about half-way through the sponge and shoved it onto the intake for my PH. It works great. Have to pull it off every now and then to clean it but it doesn't impede my skimming at all and was really simple.

Wes

Wow thats a great idea. I have to do that for mine, I pull at least 1 snail off a day, and its like they are all sitting ontop of the ph waiting to get sucked into it. Haha.

That sounds good Wes. Another option that doesn't require as frequent washing out, is to buy the plastic craft mesh that's used for needlepoint-type crafts (not exactly needlepoint, but I don't know what you call it). You can buy the stuff at any craft/sewing store, and make a cone out of it to slip over the intake.

Nate

NateHanson said:
That sounds good Wes. Another option that doesn't require as frequent washing out, is to buy the plastic craft mesh that's used for needlepoint-type crafts (not exactly needlepoint, but I don't know what you call it). You can buy the stuff at any craft/sewing store, and make a cone out of it to slip over the intake.
Nate

That's a great (or is it grate ;-) idea. One things for sure, that sponge was a pain in the arse in my pre-skimmer's return. Ug.

Back