DIY stand Advise

SMS76

Non-member
I am looking for some DIY stand idea and i found this website.

http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php

Please use L = 48, W = 18 and H = 31 (that's dimention of my tank). It comes up with nice diagrams and such.

What do you think about thier stand design? My tank is 115G. Will it work? Any cons to this design? Any modifications? Any other links or recomendations?
Thanks
Shoeib

Making this out of all 4x4 tells me one thing the guy behind that web site is cluless. Look around you will find other designs, lighter, properly constructed and joined, that you will be much happier with.

Jim

I agree with dedfish. That's a lot of lost space inside the stand. The middle support could definitely be a 2x4 and that would allow you an extra 4 inches of width inside the stand.

I'm also not particularly fond of attaching a stand with metal angle brackets. It doesn't lend much strength or rigidity. Much better IMO to cut lap joints and glue and screw them. Much stronger, and not much more work if you have a circular saw of some sort.

By the way I haven't forgotten about making a visit. I'll PM you after I figure out my wifes plans this weekend. :)

I would and did use 4x4's for some of my stand construction.Space inside the stand is not an issue for me all i needed room for is my sump,i agree if you are planning a cabinet here you do loose valuable space.I used 4x4's for the uprights,i have seen 2x4's used on far bigger tanks.I agree with Nate on avoiding those metal brackets when possible.I used one on a 2x4 which needed to be removable in case i ever needed to remove the sump.
Bear in mind weight,my 150!
tank-empty 250lbs
water-120x8lbs=960lbs
rock-200lbs
sand(4 inches)300 lbs
plumbing-10lbs

total 1520 lbs

I agree 2x4's can support this weight vertically but 1520 lbs moving side to side on weak joints when you leaning into the tank is a whole different story.
IMO 2x4's are fine in numbers with proper joints but i would rather use 4x4's at least for the uprights.
-Liam.

NateHanson said:
I agree with dedfish. That's a lot of lost space inside the stand. The middle support could definitely be a 2x4 and that would allow you an extra 4 inches of width inside the stand.

I'm also not particularly fond of attaching a stand with metal angle brackets. It doesn't lend much strength or rigidity. Much better IMO to cut lap joints and glue and screw them. Much stronger, and not much more work if you have a circular saw of some sort.

By the way I haven't forgotten about making a visit. I'll PM you after I figure out my wifes plans this weekend. :)

Nate, don't worry. I am just trying to prepare my self for this just in case i need a new stand. Let me know whenever you can make it.

Thanks guys for replies. Yes i did notice that by using 4x4's it will take some space and i was thinking about using 2x4's in the middle. What other design you guys like? Any links?
My tank is kind of upright as well, just like Liam and i am thinking about using 4x4 atleast on the up corners.
Thanks
Shoeib

For what it's worth, I think you can do without a middle brace on a 4' tank, especially if you use slightly wider pieces around the top, or use hardwood like poplar or maple. I have no doubts that a 4" on-edge maple frame would have no problem holding any 4' span without a middle support.

i know alot will disagree but for a 48"X18' tank up to 110 glass trim mounted tank you need no more than 3\4 furniture grade ply and solid wood brace in the middle with brace forming a T on it and a solid ply top no pine though.

alot of these tank stands being built are stonger than the floors that support them

I think you're right on Greg.

Next time any of you are in Tropic isle, or another store with Oceanic stands, check out the big ones. Big 6' stands are made with nothing but 3/4" hardwood ply. Uprights are two 3" strips of ply attached to form an L-support. That thing's stronger than a 4x4, and takes up virtually no room under the tank.

Hey Nate...are u available to build a custom cabinet for my tank. I built the existing one but I really want to get it done right, with nice wood , joints, etc. The bench that my tank sits on is fine....I just want a new, better looking exterior. Iheard you do cabinet making so I figured I'd ask?

For me, I didn't need the room under my stand. So for my 125g 6' stand I used the existing wall, put a 2x6 across the top of the wall. Top & bottom cross piecs are made from 2x6's. The front has a 4x4 at each corner, and a 3rd in the middle. Then an additional 2x4 in between the front 4x4's. And an additional 2x2 at the side near the wall. Topped off w/3/4" plywood & a layer of vinyl flooring. Sides will be 1/2" plywood
All joints re-inforced with steel

Attachments

• 125g-finished6.jpg
    125g-finished6.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 396
Back