DIY Stand

aha24

Non-member
I want to build a stand to fit a 75g. 48x18x20 does any one have pictures of there DYI stand Frames?

I am building an in wall stand for a 150 high and was planning using 4x4's,but i see cndarian only used 2x4's.
How do people join their lumber?i was thinking of using decking brackets.Has anyone done this or are good old mortice joints better?
(sorry ,not trying to hijack the thread,just figured this would be a good time to ask these Q's)
Liam.

Mortise and Tenon is ALWAYS better, but they have to be large if you use low-quality lumber. The brackets are ok I think, but they don't give the joints the same ridgidity that a mechanical joint has. I think a good alternative for 2x4 construction is using lap joints or bridle joints. Both work well with crappy wood, are easy to cut with a table saw or router table, and will provide a lot more rigidity than metal brackets.

120 stand design

I think this frame design is pretty standard, but be careful in your selection of 2x4s. Mine were pretty warped and made it pretty difficult. My stand is not 100% level and may be a pain in the a** to get it level. We'll see though. The satisfaction of doing it myself will far outweigh the frustration sometime down the road :)

STAND%20002.jpg

STAND%20001.jpg

STAND%20003.jpg

I actually started mine today its almost done I didnt get a chance to take pictures but it looks great useing wainscot on the out side and instead of making doors in the front I am making the front panel removable. for access of sump and equipment. and I am only in to it for $97 ... $80 after I return the extra 2x4's

aha24 said:
Do you think those will be strong enough for all that wieght?
is that the whole leveler?

There is a foot that threads into the insert linked above. It will handle the weight no problem. I posted the link to the inserts because they were the most heavy duty I could find.

No. The foot wasn't part of the kit, but you can find them at home depot. They are called "Slide Glide" and made to replace appliance feet.

i would like to add somthing i wish i did make a door on the side so you can remove you sump or add a bigger one or a custom sump/fuge down the road keep your options open this hobby is always changing for the better

I plan on putting a door on the side of my stand... That way, I can slide in a much longer sump than what I could fit through the front doors, just like Clam Man said.. I have a 55gal that I'd be breaking down to move into the 120. I plan on adding baffles to the 55 and drilling the side for a pump. Should make for one hell of a sump...

Here is the frame for my 75g stand under construction. This was built with 6 2x4s. I actually left out the center vertical supports when doing the final assembly. The full tank now sits on top with no issues. The inner members on the top frame were used to support a plywood deck needed for an acrylic tank. I wrapped the frame with pine beadboard stock and a double door for the front.

Attachments

• P1010047.JPG
    P1010047.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 403
Back