DIY Stand

The problem with a leveler foot is your are now putting the entire weight of the tank on "x" number of points. The whole idea of that bottom 2x4 (I used a 2x6) is to spread the weight of the tank out over the entire length as much as possible.
Say you put a leveler foot down, and due to spacing of the floor joists it is dead center between 2 joists. You now have the weight of the tank pushing down on a point that is 7" away from any support. It will not fail right away, but over time that floor will start to sag & your tank will become unlevel - possible leading to leaks.
The only good place for feet to level a tank is on a cement floor IMO. And I would still go to the "trouble" of making a level stand without feet

The floor my tank sits on is not level (but it is a slab underneath). I set the finished frame in the correct spot then used long cedar shingles as shims underneath the lower 2x4 frame to get the top leveled. I used a large number of shims down the length of the stand to avoid the point loading issue. The shims were then trimmed and tacked in place. I have posted a picture of the finished stand. There is blasphemy involved as there is a FW tank sitting on the stand. I did intend this to be a reef tank (Tank is from an RC member) but chickened out for a variety of reasons. I still enjoy lurking here and you guys have much more interesting DIY projects then the average FW'er IMHO.

Attachments

• P1010051.JPG
    P1010051.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 320
you could always do a fish only with live rock setup. not much different than fresh only you need to mix up some salt.

go for it, what have you got to loose, and if it fails you can go back and make it a freshwater tank again.

Back