DIY - Tank drilling starter template

dedfish

That's Mr.Murphy to you!
I used a small piece of wood with 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" holes drilled in it to start my holes. I clamped it to the tank when I could, other times I used double sided sticky tape, and on one hole I manually held it in place. I poured a little water in the hole to get it started, not alot but enough to keep things wet. The goal here is just to use this to prevent drill travel while starting the hole, and after you have a good groove take it off and set up your standard water damn and drill away.

IMGP2021.sized.jpg

Edit - PS if I keep starting 'DIY' threads do you think we'll get our forum? :D

Last edited:
Pretty Neat Idea. I learned a neat trick from Scott Merrill, that I value more though. When you put the drill bit in, just use one edge to get the hole started. Slowly flatten it out and every time you'll only have one ring, perfect :) I drilled an 1 3/4" hole, horizontally, onto a 15 gallon tank, using this method.

Same idea but with this you don't even have to worry about drill travel at all. No holding the drill steady nothing. I still start the hole by applying slight preasure to one edge and then slowly flattening it out like you describe. This is your idea on training wheels. :D

I watched scott merrill sweat about 5 gallons, when he drilled 5 holes in adam's 125...... He probably wouldn't have minded having a guide... heheheh

I used the same method on my 55g, 75g, & 20g. On the 125g I used a drill press. I kept water from a hose running constantly

Back