DIY tunze box - sort of, thoughts?

JohnK

Staff member
BRS Member
I had a thought -

Tunze, maxi-oceanflow, exct pumps take in water at the pump. What would happen if the pump was mounted in a smallish overflow box type of thing so that the water would flow in freely, but be pulled from the bottom, top and bottom, or just top, of the tank. Seems like it might really imporve the overall circ in the tank?

here's a drawing?

Last edited by a moderator:
flow like this.

instead of this

here's the experiment I made. Seems to work well?

The Tunze wave box fills and empties so you get a gallon surge. It works phenomenal but take some serious space.

Yup, this is different. No surge, just a steady flow, but taking water from the top and bottom and sending it out in the middle. Also some added anemone protection (anti-puree).

bump?

any input? does this seem like a silly idea? Subjectively it seems like I'm getting a good bit more overall circ throughout the tank with this thing, but it might just be my imagination? (It's a tunze 6060 mounted in the box, I'm starting to consider investing in a 6100 to go with this thing)

Oddly enough, the box isn't an eye sore at all because of the angles that my tank can be viewed at. The box is 4" x 4" x 10".

With a 6100 you can create the wave by pulsing it fast

If you moved the powerhead(6100) to the bottom of the box and pulsed it, it would Basically be a Tunze wave box.

But the wave box uses a 6200.
The slots on the pump faces up and the bottom is completely covered.
The box fills through the pump face.
The top of the box is out of the water to allow air in.

HTH

Thanks, that helps.

At this point I'm thinking of using this just to increase the circ (move water on several levels in the tank, instead of just one) without actually making it work like the real tunze box, but I was also very interested in getting a better idea of how the real tunze set up works.

Do you know of anyone who has one running? I'd love to see one in action. Do they take water in from just the top, bottom, or both? (I'm guessing bottom?)

Also, do you know anywhere that sells just the 6091 controller? I've only seen the 7091 and 7095 advertised. (I'm assuming the 7091 and 7095 won't operate the box set up right?)

With a 6100 you can create the wave by pulsing it fast

If you moved the powerhead(6100) to the bottom of the box and pulsed it, it would Basically be a Tunze wave box.

But the wave box uses a 6200.
The slots on the pump faces up and the bottom is completely covered.
The box fills through the pump face.
The top of the box is out of the water to allow air in.

HTH

Dammit, Greg...Now I'm going to have to make one out of a maxi mod!

Geeze, why not make a maxi mod in a box without the shourd around the prop?

Thanks, that helps.

At this point I'm thinking of using this just to increase the circ (move water on several levels in the tank, instead of just one) without actually making it work like the real tunze box, but I was also very interested in getting a better idea of how the real tunze set up works.

Do you know of anyone who has one running? I'd love to see one in action. Do they take water in from just the top, bottom, or both? (I'm guessing bottom?)

Also, do you know anywhere that sells just the 6091 controller? I've only seen the 7091 and 7095 advertised. (I'm assuming the 7091 and 7095 won't operate the box set up right?)

I have one. The box takes water in through the pump at the bottom then pumps it out, the box fills with air. Then the box refills, rinse and repeat.

Ok, that's how I was picturing it.

Seems like the controller needs to be just right for that to work right (if the pump runs too long you'd get a massive bubble storm, no?)?

you do get some air but not like running the pump dry, it still pulls water in.
If you don't get the timing right you don't get a wave. But even if you get the timing right if the box is to high it will blow bursts of air.

Back