DIY Wavebox!

another cool video, thats cool how the yellow polyps wave back and forth like that, and the anemone really looks good in the wavy motion.

Is having the motion like waves that beneficial in a reef tank? or is it just a nice thing to have.

>Greg two problems I could see with that one being the powerhead should face the long axis of the tank to be more effective ( assuming your overflow box is in the back of the tank )<

I thought a little bit more about this and I don't think it would be easy to use my overflow box on my tank. Though plenty large, they are made of acrylic, reinforced by glass. Drilling the glass with the tank full of stuff would be a real pain.

Does anyone have feel for about how large of a box would be required for a 400 gallon system?

I would make one with a controllable Tunze. It would still be cheaper than buying a wavebox, and I found instructions on how to do it HERE. For a giant tank, you could always have one one one end of the tank, and then a pump on the other end on an alternate cycle. Or maybe one large box with 2 pumps so it can empty the box faster.

on large tanks, Tunze has you add a second box right next to the first box, with both on the same timer. Trying to time it using them at opposite ends of the tank would be about impossible.

on large tanks, Tunze has you add a second box right next to the first box, with both on the same timer. Trying to time it using them at opposite ends of the tank would be about impossible.

tunze wave boxes does it both ways the tunze wave box controller does the work. Oppsite end or next to each other at one end

FWIW: if anyone has a set of tunzes on a multi controller and wants to see the wave action. You can produce a wave by alternating the pumps on a short cycle if they are at opposite ends of the tank.

But the wave box is only supplimental flow that keeps detritus in suspension
so it's not an option to run your tunzes pump this way for any period of time
with out additional flow.

Greg H -
Why not use a surge setup with a large bucket or narrow verticle tank and a durso style flush?

As a side note, the Tampa Bay aquarium produces a wave surge with a 300 gal vessel that gets flushed by a piston. (This is on a 200Kgal tank!)
It has the advantage of not taking a lot of space and being floodproof. (As is the wavebox (I love the pulsing action it causes, pretty neat) )

M.

How exactly would a surge style wavebox work. Any links? Are you saying it is better or worse than a wavebox with a powerhead?

That's what I was basically saying...Making a larger box with 2 pumps is like having to boxes in there. The suggestion I made about the pump at the other end wasn't a box, but just a pump. Some people have had luck with a pump at the other end on an opposite cycle.

whats the update on this!? did anyone actually order one of these Taam MVT Wave Maker
Multi-position switches.On/Off time setting between 0 - 210 seconds
and try this out? Hows it work out for those who did order it, and is it worth it?

Hello Steve,

For a 6 ft tank (180) ... any guesses on what a good frequency range would be needed to dial in the wave?

I 've got a 555 timer controlling two pumps via Triacs (no relays), and am looking to modify it to build your wavebox.

Thank you,

J.B.

I would say it would be about the same as what I was running (my tank is 6' too). I was running it at ~.9 seconds on and ~.9 seconds off.

Hello Steve,

For a 6 ft tank (180) ... any guesses on what a good frequency range would be needed to dial in the wave?

I 've got a 555 timer controlling two pumps via Triacs (no relays), and am looking to modify it to build your wavebox.

Thank you,

J.B.

Cool! I built my own wavemaker timers a long time ago using the 555 timer chip and a pair of solid state relays. I used a potentiometer to vary the length of the cycle.

Has anyone tried putting the wavebox so it rises above the tank? Then use the powerhead to push water up into the box. When it turns off, the water would gravity flow back into the tank.

I would guess that if you put the box above the tank ... you will end up with a surge. No harm in trying, since there's nothing wrong with a surge.

Just be careful how it is designed so it doesn't pump your tank onto the floor if the pump stays on.

Back