Do I need a valve (ball or gang) on my drain? on my return?

Swim74

Non-member
I am doing some plumbing, and as usual, I have no idea what the heck I am doing- :D

do I need two valves? one on the drain, and one on the return (after the pump of course).

my old setup was with an overflow box siphon tube and I found that the only valve I needed was after the return pump to regulate flow.

but this drilled tank business is a whole new world for me.

If I dont need one on the drain, that would be great-

thanks so much
mark

but if I turn off the pump, wont the flow stop anyway?

so, by reading what you say, it sounds like then its better to not have all of that extra water drain off, to clean the sump that is.

I have ball valves:

From the sump drain to the pump, and a union
from the pump to the tank, and a union
From the tank drain pipe to the sump

Just in case I need them, usually when I clean the sump I let all the water drain down. But at some point it's only an annoying dribble that I want to shut off.

For the pump - I can shut everything off & disconnect the pump for replacement or cleaning. For cleaning I again let everything drain down. But it's those dang pump failures (knock on wood) that may happen that you need to be able to shut things off.
Or say your sump sprang a hole...

or any of a number of other reasons.

It's easier to have it installed, and maybe not need it; then need it & not have it installed IMO

scuba daves got the right idea i too have a valve on both my drain and my return so i can basically shut down the upper tank turning it into a conventional style tank (ie not drilled) this allows easy cleanning of the sump and helps in water changes the union is the best move i ever made because all u have to do to clean the return pump is shut the valves loosen the union and bam a clean pump u will have

I too have a ball valve on the return from the tank to sump, but it is simply for isolation of the sump from the tank (and yes, the water would naturally drain into the sump butsometimes you get a little spillage.

The ball valve is not for throttling of return flow. Even though it can help attenuate noise, never ever ever throttle the return flow to the sump*. Doing so violates every rule of hydraulic design.

Matt:cool:

* Throttle the flow from the sump to the tank only.

I am in Violation then!!! :D

I have 2 returns, one goes straight to the sump, 2nd goes to a "Y" each output from the Y has a ball valve. One side goes to the fuge, the other to the sump. So in total they have more capacity with the fuge line partially throttled then only 1 pipe. I just didn't want the full flow (~700gph) going thru the fuge

okay sounds good everyone. thanks a bunch!! this is one of those times where its good to have a club so I dont make dumb mistakes (like I'm not going to anyway :rolleyes: ).

I am going to put them on both the drain and the return. I am so pumped! (pun baby pun).

Back