do people still consider buying Metal Halight for their new setup ?

I dont know what will happen with the future of LEDs, but I am convinced right now they arent the best over our tanks as the only lighting. I prefer a nice t5 system (ATI), then Mh.

But let us not forget lighting is only one part of the equation, just like some have a green thumb and other grow weeds really well, some have will have a nice tank no matter how they put it together.

In the end it is not how you get there just that you get there.

I agree whole heartedly with this. I guess I feel like the Beta has been done already.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18757582#post18757582

Here is a pic of his tank from before he switched to the AI sols. Still led. As for that pic you posted he had just rearranged his tank to go bare bottom.

I guess haters just have to hate. :rolleyes:

It's the pictures, he bought those corals like that.

I didn't post that picture to prove LEDs don't work or say that guy is a fraud. He never claimed to have grown them from frags, and if you look closely at the pictures from before he rearranged his tank, where you can see the base of the coral, most were glued in place and not encrusted over the plugs. I have no doubt LEDs can grow corals and produce a beautiful tank, I agree with everything you posted. Personally I'm glad that I don't have to buy a new lighting system right now. If you buy LEDs, the tech is growing so fast your equipment will be outdated in a couple years. On the other hand, if you buy MH and the tech and price of LEDs clearly wins you will have missed the boat.

That's part of the reason I went with ecotech's radions. Their lighting is modular and they have a history of supporting hardware and software upgrades to old tech. I just updated my old mp40 with a new wireless driver board. They have already done significant upgrades to their controller software with more on the way. I'm not dumb enough to think they are completely future proof but I should get some life out of them.

Here is a pic of his tank from before he switched to the AI sols. Still led. As for that pic you posted he had just rearranged his tank to go bare bottom.

I do think there is a lot of user errors with people who are switching to led but just because you haven't seen a great tank with led doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Again I think halides are great. I have a halide vho set up now. To me the advantages of not having to change bulbs with it's cost and acclimation swung the deal . I hate gambling money trying out new bulbs hoping I'm going to like the color. I like that I'm not going to have to have a big canopy to hold all my lighting (so does my wife).

The thing I don't understand is how people can say definitely that one is better than the other. To me it is really about taste. Some people love the shimmer from a halide. Some love that cool look that the right t5 bulb combo gives you.

If it was all about maximizing growth we'd all be running 5000-6500k bulbs.

To the original posters question I think many people will still choose halides. Personally I am comfortable that led will grow sps and it's other benefits are right for ME.

I guess we will see If people get to tell me I told you so.

I'm a hater he's a hater wouldn't u like to b a hater too!!!
angry-smiley-055.gif

angry-smiley-035.gif

I do think there is a lot of user errors with people who are switching to led but just because you haven't seen a great tank with led doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Again I think halides are great. I have a halide vho set up now. To me the advantages of not having to change bulbs with it's cost and acclimation swung the deal . I hate gambling money trying out new bulbs hoping I'm going to like the color. I like that I'm not going to have to have a big canopy to hold all my lighting (so does my wife).

The thing I don't understand is how people can say definitely that one is better than the other. To me it is really about taste. Some people love the shimmer from a halide. Some love that cool look that the right t5 bulb combo gives you.

If it was all about maximizing growth we'd all be running 5000-6500k bulbs.

To the original posters question I think many people will still choose halides. Personally I am comfortable that led will grow sps and it's other benefits are right for ME.

I guess we will see If people get to tell me I told you so.

I'm a hater she's a hater he's a hater............wouldn't u like to b a hater too?
angry-smiley-055.gif

angry-smiley-035.gif

The Kessel might have more shimmer than SOL LED,but it will not blow away a halide.

You can say this because you have the kessil light?
It certainly has more shimmer than the two 400 watt halides I had on my tank.

Last edited:
I think shimmer is all about water movement. I don't even have lights set up and I have absurd shimmer on my new tank with an indirectly lit incandescent recessed spotlight.

I will admit I had Halides then switched to Ati Sunpower now AI led plus the Kessil and my tank did the best when I had Halides

Back in the day, some of the best growth rates I have ever had was in my 135g tank, under 3-400w, 6500K Iwasakis, supplemented with 4 135w 72" VHO Actinic blues. You'd be amazed at the explosive growth and polyp extension. The VHO's really took the yellow cast out of the 65's and gave a nice color rendering. I have yet to find another combination that has worked as well.

As far as I'm concerned MH is the benchmark that all the others are measured by. That alone should tell you something.

Back in the day, some of the best growth rates I have ever had was in my 135g tank, under 3-400w, 6500K Iwasakis, supplemented with 4 135w 72" VHO Actinic blues. You'd be amazed at the explosive growth and polyp extension. The VHO's really took the yellow cast out of the 65's and gave a nice color rendering. I have yet to find another combination that has worked as well.

As far as I'm concerned MH is the benchmark that all the others are measured by. That alone should tell you something.

What wouldn't grow under 1740w??? You could harvest a small corn field in your basement!!!

What wouldn't grow under 1740w??? You could harvest a small corn field in your basement!!!

ur just itchin!!!

sport-smiley-008.gif

all kidding aside....the wattage he was pumping isn't so much the reason..... the kelvin in those 65K bulbs..By far the best growth rates ever seen in the hobby were with 65k iwasaki MH...If u could get past the urine color those bulbs produced!!!
speechless-smiley-021.gif

vomit-smiley-014.gif

the vho's just helped to shift the spectrum a bit...

If it grows coral last year, and grows coral this year, it will probably grow coral next year, right? (not the same MH bulb... but lets speak generally). If you look at a metal halide lit tank and it looks good and has good shimmer and you look at LED and can say the same, and his coral are all fine, then instead of asking if Metal Halides are done we should think about it as a personal choice. LEDs on reef tanks are working, and get good PAR numbers but just as metal halide bulbs have changed a good bit since it was more common to see 6500k with VHO actinics overy every tank.... the right overall combo of LED power, color and type is still being refined. It is a hell of a lot cheaper though to change your radions color than it is to buy a new MH bulb.

I look at it this way. If you don't like the color rendition wit MH then you only have to wait a year to change them. LOL

And you do get past the Urine color eventually, and rationalize and justify it once you see the growth rate.

Does anyone know if Iwasaki still makes the 6500K bulbs?

Last edited:
I look at it this way. If you don't like the color rendition wit MH then you only have to wait a year to change them. LOL

THUMBS UP. Though if you'e anything like me you get used to it eventually no matter what. I did not LOVE the color of the pheonix bulb + T5 at first, I thought it washed out warm colors, but I am used to it now and dont really have a problem with it, though I still think the tank looks better during the day when there is some stray diffused sunlight in the room to kind of warm up the spectrum.

Back