do people still consider buying Metal Halight for their new setup ?

I think it is a design flow for 250w DE socket. I have seen so many chipped, broken, burnt sockets.

I like my hamilton 250DE's B! :p

I'm happy for ya, Jay!! Seriously...

I'm sure u r on the low percentile that like them....especially when having to change a bulb or cracking the lens from either removal to change a bulb or dropping it by accident.... To each it's own....

MH DE r awful...The don't spread light in a wide span....Have an extremely hot center spot & r very difficult to change....moguls r the best in MH...(not lets see who wants to argue..............................LOL)

B, they do make similar reflectors for DE bulbs like they do for the moguls, it is all in the reflector for SE oe DE. Also if you need a smaller wattage like I do (15W for my 40B), they do not have the poor design of the 250 or 400. They have a spring loaded socket that I thing is even easier than the 400W mogul socket I have on the other tank. I wouldn't paint all DE bulbs or reflectors with a single brush. IMO some are great and some are horrible, you just need to know how to differentiate:)

I guess, Mike...15 watt!! I will agree..if ur painting it with that brush!!!! Yeah I would say if it was the same design as a 250 watt it would b even uglier to r&r!

just for the record....moguls can b a PIA too....

If you have them in a location with poor circulation!! (IE no fans in hood pendant) & close to the water surface...salt splash can make them tough to unscrew...especially if u don't swap them out with frequency... (I swap mine out every 9 months so I never would have an issue...) plus I have 4 fans in my enclosure...to sucking in 2 blowing out on the other end...

250 watt DE clips r awful!! (is that better?)

LOL ;)

Got my first LED light today, here is my first hand experience...for several hours
The LED is made by CADlight, 120w. It is side by side on a 40 gallon breeder next to another 40 breeder with a 20K 250w metal halide powered by HQI ballast.
1. Shimmer:
It is a different kind of shimmer, more fine line but it is there. Not as much as the halide.

2. Color:
The LED is 50/50 white and blue LED. It is more purple than 20K halide. But coral color is more pop.

3. Brightness:
Slightly less than halide consider it is half of the wattage. But definitely brighter than a 150w DE halide.

4. Spread
This is surprising, the LED has better coverage than the halide on 40 breeder tank.

Heat:
Where did the heat go? After 4 hr, the fixture to cool to touch, not even warm. The air from the fans is cool as well.
Something is missing there.

Our led fixtures are a little warm on top, maybe 10-15 degrees over room temp, but nothing like the halide fixtures we had before, which were 250 degrees or more (i burnt myself more then once on them :screwy:), and all the heat in the leds directs up, through the heatsinks and fans, and none towards the tank

Sent from my Sony Xperia Play using tapatalk.

That is a giant LED light. It also has t-5 on it. That make me think I should add a t-5 strip to suppliment my LED.

with that price tag, you can get the best halide and with all the electricity paid for for a year or two.

I seriously think that the commercially available LED fixtures are big rip off. If you know how much it cost to made them and ship them to US...

with that price tag, you can get the best halide and with all the electricity paid for for a year or two.

Ain't that the truth I might go back to metal halide...watch those for sale threads for a nice reef koi led fixture perfect for a 40 gal breeder

bump bump bump......another led owner, bites the dust................ bump bump bump.....& another & another one....another one bites the dust!!

bump bump bump......another led owner, bites the dust................ bump bump bump.....& another & another one....another one bites the dust!!

Is there a reason you hate LEDs so much ???? Lol is your tank sponsored by a mh company lol..... J/w but seriously I'm thinking about making the switch to LEDs ........I know you have been doing this forever with great success with what you are running ... But why are you so negative towards change??? This hobby always advances itself from pumps skimmers lighting controllers... With all the negative feelings to led i just hope when it's time you can say .... I was wrong.....

Back