Do you clean your sand?

Do you clean/disturb your sandbed?

• Clean by siphoning it out...

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Clean by disturbing sandbed to get other filtration to grab detritus...

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • What's a sandbed? I don't need no sandbed!

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Don't clean or touch the sandbed...

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Vary rarely...

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
Do you clean your sand? I've never really cleaned my sand other than occasionally sucking up a little sand if there's ever been algae on the sandbed. I've never really had an issue without disturbing/cleaning it and was just wondering what everybody else does?

Need one on there for occasionally. Lol. I’ve siphoned it once And agitated it maybe twice since set up in October.

Most of my tanks run filterless so during large weekly water changes I aggressively turkey baste the sandbed lifting the detritus into the water column. I then drain 20-95% of the water depending on tank size (5g in my 25, nearly 100% in my 1.75g reefbowl) and replace with new SW. sometimes on my small tanks I will turkey baste, drain 100% then refill 25% turkey baste again drain it then fill 100% new

Need one on there for occasionally. Lol. I’ve siphoned it once And agitated it maybe twice since set up in October.

I added a rarely option lol...

Most of my tanks run filterless so during large weekly water changes I aggressively turkey baste the sandbed lifting the detritus into the water column. I then drain 20-95% of the water depending on tank size (5g in my 25, nearly 100% in my 1.75g reefbowl) and replace with new SW. sometimes on my small tanks I will turkey baste, drain 100% then refill 25% turkey baste again drain it then fill 100% new

I usually do a 4-5 gallon weekly water change in my 25'ish cube but never really stirred up the sand. I can see the almost 100% change on the small 1.75 gallon tank and stirring that up makes a lot of sense.

I don’t aggressively clean the sandbed every weekly water change, rather, I do it as needed.
When detritus builds up and is noticeable.
I also do this in quadrants, over successive weeks when it is necessary. I try not to disturb the whole tank at once. I do use a gravel vac to purge detritus for these changes.

Last edited:
The goby takes care of that lol. Diamond goby is by far the best beast ever but you have to have a screen on the tank where it’s housed.

The goby takes care of that lol. Diamond goby is by far the best beast ever but you have to have a screen on the tank where it’s housed.
Good advice, sand sifters in the Genus Valencienna or Amblygobius
are great helpers and can take care of that for you. I would suggest you run mechanical filter media somewhere in the system if you use them and change or wash that often. They can make a mess if there is detritus built up.

Good advice, sand sifters in the Genus Valencienna or Amblygobius
are great helpers and can take care of that for you. I would suggest you run mechanical filter media somewhere in the system if you use them and change or wash that often. They can make a mess if there is detritus built up.
+1 TY CHIEF...

Back