Does anyone dose Nitrate?

BigBabich

Non-member
My nitrates are always bottomed out in one of my tanks (but always high in another, who can figure)
I've been dosing Neonitro for about 2 months and it's helping quite significantly. I don't know where it goes and I'm almost out of the first bottle.
Does anyone dose Neonitro or another product?
I like Neonitro but was wondering about ESV's Nitrate product.
Let me know if you dose NItrate and how much, and of what.
Thanks!

My tank also has tended to go to zero nitrate, so I dose plain sodium nitrate. I dose an amount that adds 5ppm nitrate per day, which seems to keep my nitrate more or less steady at roughly 20-50ppm by the salifert assay kit.

I would agree that feeding more is the simpler and more “organic” way to raise nitrate. It depends on what corals you have in your system, but there is certainly debate on adding nitrate and or phosphate.

I and many other people believe that adding bottled nitrate and phosphate to achieve some test number you want to see, is not necessarily beneficial to coral. You will certainly see the results on the tests. However if you are doing it because you believe it will help your corals, or help to deter nuisance things like Dino’s it is a much larger discussion.

We can leave Dino’s and other nuisance things for a later discussion. In regards to coral, they do not necessarily feed off of nitrate and or phosphate. They actually feed, take in, use for energy/growth things along the line, or in the chain of nitrate and phosphate. Think of it like a 10 car train. Car one is almost always fish food. Car two is fish poo, then things happen which I am not overly qualified to explain. But the caboose or car ten is nitrate and phosphate. Corals feed off of cars 2-9. So adding end game nitrate and phosphate that the corals will most likely not uptake is almost a waste of time. It will make you happy that you’re achieving the nutrient numbers you want, however what you added has little to no bioavailability to the corals.

Feeding more however benefits the entire system. Everyone involved in the nitrate cycle benefits along the way. Especially your fish. Which will then be pooping more and benefiting your corals. Your microbiome will also benefit along this process as well.

My understanding was that nutrient dosing (nitrate in this case) is not about achieving target numbers or ratios, but rather about addressing low levels becoming limiting factor(s) for bacterial growth. (Shall I suggest; encouraging “levels” 5-7, and thereby supporting “levels” 8-9)

Edit; and people also pursue it for other reasons / thinking. Didn’t mean to imply that my comment is all inclusive.

Last edited:
Johns correct. The bacteria that the coral feeds on is not being produced at levels to drive growth and color. Hence why some supplement with products. Tropic marin claims that the products they provide (*sell) are a complex organic nitrate and phosphate of which the corals can consume where as the algae can not...not sure thats just BS or true because theres no documented proof Ive read or seen but its nice in theory.

My understanding was that nutrient dosing (nitrate in this case) is not about achieving target numbers or ratios, but rather about addressing low levels becoming limiting factor(s) for bacterial growth. (Shall I suggest; encouraging “levels” 5-7, and thereby supporting “levels” 8-9)

Edit; and people also pursue it for other reasons / thinking. Didn’t mean to imply that my comment is all inclusive.
That doesn’t make sense as low levels (nitrate in this case) would absolutely mean there is proper bacterial growth. How would the system be low on nitrate if it did not have proper amounts of nitrifying bacteria?

Not talking about nitrifying bacteria necessarily. That's a given.

Bacterial growth in general. Requires Nitrate, phosphate and carbon. When any of them are a limiting factor bacterial growth (think tissue mass, not nitrifying capacity) slows and the uptake of all those nutrients slows or stops. *again, I'm not at all talking about nitrifying bacteria's capacity to nitrify. This is about all sorts of bacteria growing and taking nutrients up into that bacterial biomass, not that bacteria consuming / converting ammonia to nitrite to nitrate*

When all are present and available, misc bacterial growth takes up nitrate and phosphate into bacterial biomass, which then can be skimmed out AND consumed as food. Ie, both managing waste and providing food for corals and inverts.

A very common scenario when organic carbon dosing (which is more effective at reducing nitrate than phosphate) is that nitrate gets low or "bottoms out" but phosphate doesn't. Nitrate has become the limiting factor (no longer Carbon as the limiting factor), and then any nitrate that is produced is quickly taken up and the levels stay at a testable zero. (nitrate and phosphate both being taken up into bacterial biomass, but that process stops when the nitrate becomes limited again, but the phosphate is already abundant so it keeps accumulating). Hence the common issue of needing GFO or Lanthum C to manage Phosphate while nitrate hovers near or at zero.

Simple anecdotal observation - My system is generally running phosphate around .1, and nitrate at zero on the tests. If I dose sodium nitrate and wait a bit, I see detectable nitrate right away, and in a week or so my phosphate testing shows a clear drop, and the nitrate I just boosted also drops. If I don't add the nitrate, my phosphate stays quite steady. Perhaps just confirmation bias, but this is consistent with and predicted by the thinking above, and with talk in other venues of "bacterial driven systems" or whatever one might choose to call this.

another thing to add is that when the nitrates bottom out, the nuisance algae and slims seem to be the best at consuming them and out-competing coral uptake. hence why some systems that run ULN see these cyano or bryopsis outbreaks.

You might consider dosing amino acids instead of free nitrate. There is ample evidence that corals intake amino acids from the water column.

I stopped dosing nitrate and started ammonium chloride dosing.
My system is 0 nitrate all the time. I upped my feeding 3x what I used to do. Still zero. Corals don't seem affected at all so now I'm trying ammonium chloride and see what the changes are.

Back