Drain and return plumbing bracing

Tom18202

Non-member
Hey i just had a question about how people set up their return and draining plumbing. I used 2' PVC for my drain and 3/4' for my 2 returns. I have attached all the plumbing but have yet to add water or anything to the tank just cause the plumbing is all cemented/glued(whatever that pvc adhesive is) together but it just seems kind of wobbly/not sturdy. Does anyone have any ideas how now to brace them or what to brace them to. In order to make it seem more sturdy.
Thanks for your help and input.

the drain is 2 inch in diameter and about 30 inches long with some elbows and what not to curve it to the sump, the the returns are 3/4 inch and about 32 inches to the returns connected and tee'd and what not to get to the drain and fuge.

u could always put a hose clamp around it and screw the clamp into the bottom the the stand. we used electrical conduit holder thingys...

seems like a 2" drain is a lil big for only having 3/4" returns tho... might be overkill.

i bought the tank used and those there the bulkhead sizes that were already in there they told me is was 1 1/4 but when i bought the adapter to connect it to the bulkhead i need a 2, i woudl have loved to have a smaller drain since it is so big and bulky

home depot or lowes sells all sorts of straps and braces for plumbing.
Take a look there and see if something will work for you.

Silly question - Did you connect to the inside or outside of the bulkhead?
2 " does sound rather large.

the returns are attached on the inside since i couldnt find the right size for the outside and the drain i attached to the outside since its already threaded on teh outside(and i didnt want to had to tap the inside of it)

know 2' looks huge but is that going to cause problems should i get rid of it and somehow go smaller? since im still taking care of all teh setup i dont want to add water and what not and have to drain it to fix it, if its too big.

home depot or lowes sells all sorts of straps and braces for plumbing.
Take a look there and see if something will work for you.

Silly question - Did you connect to the inside or outside of the bulkhead?
2 " does sound rather large.

the returns are attached on the inside since i couldnt find the right size for the outside and the drain i attached to the outside since its already threaded on teh outside(and i didnt want to had to tap the inside of it)

know 2' looks huge but is that going to cause problems should i get rid of it and somehow go smaller? since im still taking care of all teh setup i dont want to add water and what not and have to drain it to fix it, if its too big.

That explains it.
Usually the drain is attached to the inside of the bulkhead. Tape or pipe dope suitable for potable water would be fine when attaching to the inside threads.

The way you have it may cause large amounts of microbubbles in the sump which could possible make it to the display tank.

Just to be sure I got this right - You have a 2 in pvc adapter connected to the outside of the bulkhead with 2 in pipe all the way to the sump correct?

yea i will take pictures of my setup when i get home from work. but it is a 2 inch adaprter to the outside of the bulkhead with an 2inch elbow attached then 2inch pvc running down about 30 inches to another elbow(to curve it around the stand bracking) the it goes about 10 inches another elbow it goes another 4 inches and an elbow into the tank its impossible to follow through the description but i will take pictures when i get home

Tom, from what i understand you would like to stay with a threaded adapter to the outside of the drain bulkhead fitting? it is convenient to have threading. instead...glue pvc to the inside(slip) of the bulkhead fitting. leave yourself about 2 inches of excess pvc coming out of the bulkhead. that way after you have glued a T onto it(allow for venting) you still have an extra inch left over in case you need to move the tank or whatever else. one last thing, put a 2-3 inch segment of pipe coming out of the top of the T to cover up for any splashing. you may also put some filter floss in the hole for a silencer.

thats for the help i didnt even think of putting in a T for air venting so i will have to go back and add that, i might just start over and attach to the inside of the bulkhead but when i was at the hardware store asking them about it they said attach to the inside might cause leaking.

Tom, from what i understand you would like to stay with a threaded adapter to the outside of the drain bulkhead fitting? it is convenient to have threading. instead...glue pvc to the inside(slip) of the bulkhead fitting. leave yourself about 2 inches of excess pvc coming out of the bulkhead. that way after you have glued a T onto it(allow for venting) you still have an extra inch left over in case you need to move the tank or whatever else. one last thing, put a 2-3 inch segment of pipe coming out of the top of the T to cover up for any splashing. you may also put some filter floss in the hole for a silencer.

Back