Drain plumbing question

Countryreefer

BRS Member
I am setting up a new system and have a question about the pipe size of the drain. It is going to be a durso drain. The tank came with the durso which is 1-1/4" and reduced to the bulkhead that is 1". What size should I run the drain line to my sump which will be in my basement? Thanks.

If the bulkhead is 1”, it doesn’t matter if you make the drain bigger. It’s always going to be reduced to a 1” drain. Then you’ll have a 1/2-3/4” Return. Seems like the plumbing is small for a basement sump.

Any possibility to make it a herbie or bean animal drain by drilling more holes? The back up drain and emergency drain will give you peace of mind and better drainage. I remember when doing my research a 1” drain on a full Siphon can take 600-1200gph. Gravity is only 600 max.

f2722b4e17f83ce2d12cb73001870ee7.jpg

If you get funk build up in the pipe you could flood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one tank of 2 that will be going on the system. This tank with the durso is a Deep Blue 35 gallon cube so the the glass is tempered. As for flow I was thinking around 250 to 300 gph. The other tank on the system will be a 120 with a Herbie

Typically you can do it with an off the shelf RR tank. use the 3/4" bulkhead for the restricted siphon drain, and the 1" bulkhead for the emergency back up. Then just rig up something so you can run your return over the top of the rim of the tank so it doesn't require a hole/bulkhead. That set up would easily handle 250-300 GPH with plenty of room to spare.

Also note, although logically up sizing the pipe (1.25" pipe on a 1" bulkhead) should not make any difference, IME it consistently does make duroso's run smoother and easier to tune. The original Duroso plans also suggest this approach. Why it work, I have no idea but I definitely do believe it does work :)

Back