DRILL bottom of the Glass Tank? NEED help starting a reef!! THANX!!

bonzai888

Non-member
Hi Everyone,

First I just want to say this is a great site! I just moved here a year ago from California and thinking to start a 50 or 65 reef tank and it's really NICE to find this sociaty that can help me locally. Of course, joining BRS and get dicounts is not a question!!

Few questions:

1. I'm thinking drilling the bottom of the glass tank to receive bulkhead instead drilling the back of the tank. Looking for plumbing under the tank instead behind the tank for a clean look. IS IT possible to drill bottom of the tank?? I heard the bottom is tamper glass and can NOT be drilled. Is this true? If it is what other options do I have??

2. For 65g (36x18x24) is it better to have 2 250w MH or just one? Saw JEBO
on Ebay is this any good? http://cgi.ebay.com/Jebo-36-inch-28...719884934QQcategoryZ46314QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

If anyone have anything to sell please do email me also.

Thank you! :)

Hi bonzai
welcome.gif

welcomemat.gif

party-smiley-020.gif

To Boston Reefers Society!!!

If it's an AGA tank you can find info on Tempered glass bottoms here. Under Technical Information
http://www.all-glass.com/services/index.html

I have a 58g Oceanic. Bottom is tempered, so no drilling.

I was on All-Glass's site, and I can't figure out if their 50g is tempered or not. You may just want to give them a call.

Everything I've heard about Jebo has either been "It's great, and a great deal" or "It didnt work"

It depends on the tank. Some tanks, especially the larger ones, comes with tempered glass bottoms. Tempered glass can not be drilled, it will shatter. While some 65 gals are not tempered, I can't say for sure whether or not your 65gal is tempered or not. It's best to check with the manufacturer to be on the safe side.

if your tank has a center brace you should go w/ two mh's, otherwise you'll have a shadow effect in the middle. If not, depending on what you want to keep you can get away with only one to save money. IMO start off with the two now so you don't have to rebuild/ redisgn later.

bob

WOW!!

Thanx for the quick reply everyone!!

I went to Skip today and I think they did mentioned AGA is bottom temper glass. Does that mean no luck for me??

Still deciding on the tank. Did not buy a tank yet, I have to consult with you guys first!! Love the size of the AGA 50g (36x18x18) but no holes in the bottom and if I want build in Megaoverflow AGA I have to get the 65g (36x18x24). but I prefer the shorter 50g tank. AAAAAAH!! what should I do???

Again, thanks for the advice

Go with the AGA 65 gal with built in overflow. Or you can get a reef ready Oceanic 58 gal that is 21" high.

Last edited:
you could also see if AGA will add the hole and overflow into the tank you want. may have to be a special order and will cost you

Back