Drilling 18g rimless

DoctaQ

Non-member
Does anyone have any experience with drilling smaller rimless glass tanks? I'm not sure what forum to ask this, but can anyone help me drill it?

First step is to check and be sure you're not dealing with tempered glass.

^^^ That's my post, sorry. I was on my brother's account and accidentally posted it on his account. The tank is not tempered. It's a 18g ADA tank and ADA doesnt temper their 60p's. If this tank cant be easily drilled, i may just not drill it. I could keep the tank as clean looking as it is now and do something else with it. Any suggestions?

How thick is the glass where you want to drill it? Normally smaller tanks are very tricky because it's so easy to crack them during normal use AFTER you drill them. That said, being rimless it may be built with much thicker glass than would usually be used in a tank that size.

IMO probably pretty risky. Can be done, but very very easy to break it during cleaning or anytime anything slightly bumps the plumbing.

IMO probably pretty risky. Can be done, but very very easy to break it during cleaning or anytime anything slightly bumps the plumbing.

I figured it might be kind of risky. I'm just going to do a seahorse tank with it then. Do you think it'd be better with a 20L?

Well, let me put it this way. I have a 20L that has two holes and I've run it at least a few yrs without cracking it. It is possible, but I'm not going to be the guy who said "yea, just go for it" :)

Back