Drilling through slate

sdexcalibur1

Fish junkie
I have a few holes I need to drill through slate tile 16x16, Is their a speciaol bit or could I just use a regular drill bit, masonary bit maybe.
Steve

1/4" maybe 3/8's I need to hang 3 slate tiles. going to drill through both then secure them with a brass bolt, Starting a floor fountain that I've been wanting to do for awhile now.
Steve

Slate is very brittle I would stay away from a standard masonary bit, though with care it will work, I would use a hole type they are available even in sizes as small as 3/8.

Jim

i am a mason for 8 yrs and i kno slate what kind of drill do you have? a regular one or a hammer type one?

What I planned on useing is a dewalt drill 18 volt it has both setting on it, I'll be sure to kepp it OFF hammer. I only bought 3 tiles so if one cracks it's back to the store. Now that I think about it maybe I should of gotten some back up tiles just in case. Oh well,
Steve

when i used to do slate roofs we just knocked a hole through with a slaters hammer which was just a point on one end, or you can use a nail, the slates where thin and it worked 95% of the time. John

I drilled some slate to make a fountain a few years ago. I used a dewalt on the non hammer setting with a 1/2 standard masonry bit. I kept the bit very wet to keep it cool and went slow. It worked just great.

Drilling slate

I drilled some slate to tie down driftwood in a freshwater tank a few years ago. I drilled 4 holes with a masonary bit and non-hammer drill without a problem. Don't press hard, and it should work fine.

DONE!, finally, I used a dewalt electric drill with a masonary bit. I started with a cordless, but the battery was loseing it's umpf., Tile was about 1/4" thick maybe a bit more, 6 holes and nothing broke, chipped, cracked, or anything else you can think of, Thanks all,
Steve

Back