drilling

KyleinCT

Non-member
I was wondering if anyone has ever attempte drilling an overflow in the vertical position of a tank w/o completely draining it; I have had luck empty, but I don't feeling like go through all the work of emptying just to do one hole!

Last edited:
Just picture gallons and gallons of smelly saltwater all over your floor.

Its much easier and safe to drill unfilled, I wouldnt risk it.

I drilled the back of mine for a 1.5" drain and 1" return... however I drained more than half the water out into a 100g stock tank behind me, so if it went, I could move fish/corals over. Let me tell you this, it's not an experience for the faint of heart, and wouldn't do it again unless it was absolutely necessary.

-Mike

I wouldn't say it was impossible at all, however, depending on tank size and glass thickness, plus the desired location of the hole you are to drill, I might be concerned about the added stresses placed on the glass by the water inside of it. This might make the chances of failure during drilling considerably higher depending upon the above mentioned factors.

-Dave

Who needs sky diving and roller coasters for an adrenaline rush... just drill out a running tank :)

-Mike

I have a 40 breeder sump/ fuge divided in three sections. Drain the middle return area and drilled a 2 inch hole 4 inchs from the bottom with no problems.

bob

Back