Duff's Upcoming 120g Reef Build

Duff485

BRS Member
Hey fellow reefers!

It’s been forever since I posted, but I’ve still been around and lurking. I still need to make it to a meeting one of these days so I can meet some of you! I love talking about my tank – but none of my friends like listening haha.

Having successfully kept my 29g sumpless reef going for the last 4 years, it’s time to treat myself to an upgrade :)! I’m in the planning stages right now but I wanted to share my ideas with you all. I’m trying to make this tank super quiet and ultra-automated. I want to do as little as possible maintaining the tank so a lot of up-front cost is going into this thing. Here goes:

120 gallon RR tank
Looking at the Perfecto/Marineland tank since it has the ONE corner overflow on the left side which is perfect for the location of where I want to put this thing. It’s going to be viewed from the front and right side, so it really is perfect.

One overflow is plenty since I’m going to be running a Herbie/BeanAnimal drain setup. It’s really just a BeanAnimal without the 3rd emergency drain. I know, I know – it’s there for a reason, but I’m lazy and don’t want to have to tweak the traditional Herbie sytle…like ever :cool:. So I’m just going to have the second line trickle for self-tuning. Because I am paranoid about a flood though, I will be adding a float switch into the DT that will have my Apex kill my return pump if necessary.

I also don’t want to drill the tank since I want it nearly flush to the wall and I’d rather just get something pre-done already.

Custom 40B Sump
I grabbed a 29g tank at the last Petco sale because I was originally thinking of doing a 75g display tank. I’ve since upped that to the 120, so now I need/want a 40B at the next Petco sale or until I get too impatient!

I’m going to get 3 pieces of glass cut: Single piece of glass for a fuge on the right side and 2 pieces of glass for the skimmer section on the left side. Return is in the middle. I’ve researched back and forth on 2 vs 3 pieces of glass for the skimmer section bubble trap and it seems that 2 works just fine. I plan on making the skimmer and fuge sections 9-10 inches tall. If all 3 chambers were running with 10” of water (which would never happen since the return will obviously be less than 10”), I would be able to take an additional 16 gallons if I lose power. 2” of water in my DT should be about 10 gallons, so I should be flood safe. I’ll make a stand and raise the skimmer to whatever height I need. On the fuge side, I’m going to silicone in some eggcrate between the rim of the sump and the top of the baffle. Should help keep the macro algae in the fuge.

Speaking of fuge: I’m going to run LR rubble and algae only – no DSB. I’ve seen too many horror stories and I’d rather not deal with that. I do want to have a nice copepod farm though as I would like a Green Mandarin Dragonet long term.

Return Pump
Currently looking at a Waveline DC-6000 for the return pump. An alternative will be the Eheim 1262, but I really like the extra controllability of the DC pump (and supposedly how quiet it is). I’m going to send the return up and over the back of the tank. I might tee it at the top for two returns, or just have one return – not sure yet.

I am going to tee off the pump to feed the skimmer chamber with a gate valve so I can have just the right flow slowly cascading over the fuge wall. I really want this thing as quiet as possible!

Controller
Just picked up the Full Apex w/Lab grade probe to use on my current tank and then will switch it over to the upgrade. I’ll be adding another EB8, the AquaIlluminations AWM module, Vortech WXM Module and an I/O breakout box. I’m deeply in love with this Apex already – wish I bought it sooner!

Lighting
The plan is to have a mixed tank. I’ve never kept SPS before, so I don’t know how much I will want in the tank vs LPS and softies. I already upgraded my 29g tank to a single AI Hydra unit. The thing is incredible, so I will definitely be getting another Hydra for the 120g. The current 29g will be broken down so I can steal that Hydra. Long term I might get a third unit, but for now it’s just the two.

Powerheads
I’m going to shell out the cash for two Vortech MP40s. I’ve read a lot of good things about the Jebao pumps and Tunze pumps – but the Vortechs are just so clean and I love the controllability especially with the Apex. I’m going to also grab the backup battery for them too since I live in NH and we lose power all the time!

Skimmer
Went back and forth a ton on this topic. At first I was hell bent on the Reef Octopus line, but right now I think I’m going with the RLSS R6i skimmer. Again it has the quiet Waveline DC pumps and everyone seems to love these things. They are a hell of a lot cheaper than the similar Reef Octopus ones too. I’ll be adding the Avast Marine Swabbie and Skimmate locker for more ultimate laziness.

Stand and Canopy
Both of these will be DIY projects. I’m probably going to make the stand at 36” height so that I don’t have to bend over too much (or at all) to view the tank. In theory I should still be able to reach into the tank, though it will probably be pretty tight. Worst case I get a small step stool.

Auto Water Change
This is the thing I am most excited about. Stealing this from jayinnh. Will have a pump in the basement with the PVC running up through the wall and breaking out above the sump line. I’ll have a small MJ900 draining the water through the wall (which conveniently on the other side of the wall is my bathroom). The drain line will punch through the bathroom wall underneath my sink cabinet and tie directly into the drain – won’t even see it! A few float switches and some fancy Apex programming will do my water changes for me. Say goodbye to the 5 gallon buckets and lugging that water around!!!

Misc Stuff
  • Will be running two BRS dosers for calc and alk
  • Two heaters for redundancy. Both will be in the sump
  • ~100 lbs of Marco rocks. Going to aquascape with rods and cement to make this thing sweet (I hope!)
  • CaribSea special grade reef sand
  • Already have a Tunze Osmolator for my ATO
  • Already have a BRS single reactor for carbon and GFO run by a MJ1200

So this is my master plan. I’d love to hear any comments/questions you guys have and thanks for reading!

Sounds like an awesome plan! I've also been itching to get an upgrade started. One thing...I'm pretty sure I've read ppl just using PC backup batteries for their Vortechs for cheaper $. Might be something you want to look into. Can't wait to see pics! gl! :)

Thanks jdeb! I was originally thinking the Vortech batteries had some logic built in that switched the pumps to a low power mode.

But since I have an apex, I was thinking of doing some kind of battery backup program with a UPS anyways. Might as well just put the pumps on that too!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Oooh sounds like a great build thread in the making! Make sure you take progress pics and post em! Love build threads!!

Well thought out and should be awesome. Don't forget the pictures :D

In regards to the vortechs. The batteries do not have the logic. They plug in to a 12v port on the driver. The normal port is 24v. When a loss of power occurs, the driver switches from the 24v to the 12v battery and changes the pumps speed to a level that you program.

Thanks everyone! I'll make sure I take a bunch of pics. It's not going to be the fastest build ever sadly, but hopefully a good one!

Danny, thanks for the info on the Vortechs. Sounds like I just need to grab a few 12V adapters (I believe the Apex needs one too to function in power outage mode) and plug it all into a hefty UPS along with one of the Energy Bars.

The build has officially started!

I've been collecting everything over the last couple months and I've amassed enough stuff to at least get this tank cycling (though its still a ways from that :)).

I picked up a Kreg Jig to help with the stand - where has this thing been all my life?! Here it is in action:

20140411_084712_zps79a3be57.jpg

And here is the frame all together with the sump and display tank:

20140411_215311_zps5590ea9c.jpg

I've since added a piece of 1/2" ply between the tank and the stand frame to help even out any gaps. I shimmed in-between the ply and the frame so the tank has no gap all around the plastic trim and then secured the ply to the frame with screws and glue. I'm going to shim between the stand and the floor once i move it to its final spot to make sure everything is level.

My dad swung by this weekend and started the electrical work. We added a dedicated 20 amp feed from panel just for the tank. Also popped a single gang hole in the wall to feed some wires between the tank and the basement. This will namely just be an ethernet cord, USB (for the EB4 in the basement) and some low voltage lines for switches.

Also managed to get the backs of the display and quarantine tank painted black. This was wayyyyy easier than I thought it would be. I just used the standard flat black rustoleum from home depot. It was the 2x coverage kind that supposedly sticks to plastic as well. Seems to be holding on the the glass really well. I then painted the bottom (outside) of the quarantine tank so the fish dont feel like they are falling through the world :)

Hopefully more to come later this week!

So I've failed to update this in a long time! Spring rolled around and took up a bunch of my time. Sorry about that. I've managed to get the stand finished (minus the doors) and brought upstairs.

Here is a pre painting shot I snagged with my phone.

uploadfromtaptalk1402680123379.jpg

I made a little electric cabinet inset for it to keep the electronics away from the sump. The back of the stand is open so humidity shouldn't be that bad anyways, but it's still safer this way. I love the way the fluted trim and rosette blocks came out.

Here is the final electronics area, it all fits!

uploadfromtaptalk1402680283189.jpg
(Sorry for the crappy image, I'll get a better one this weekend)

Last but not least I got the sump in and started assembling everything. I made the bottom of the stand out of plywood that was originally a floating bottom. Once everything was in place and level on the stand, I siliconed around the seam between the stand and the bottom. This should give me a little water collection area in case anything leaks. I'll eventually put a leak detection module there for the apex.

Also installed some led strip lighting on the inside of the stand. Eventually will control this through a magnetic switch on the door via the apex.

uploadfromtaptalk1402680471981.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks flameangel!

I officially have it up and running now. Here is a better picture I'd the electrical cabinet. I decided to go with the jebao after all. Couldn't get over the massive cost savings!

uploadfromtaptalk1403143278224.jpg

The sump is working out nicely so far, everything is quiet. It's a little busy, but here you go.

uploadfromtaptalk1403143353274.jpg

Lastly, I had already worked on the rocks before hand, so I just put them in their spots and poured some Caribsea special grade reef sand in there (after rinsing for an hour...!). It's gonna be awhile before it's cycled and I build a cannot for the lighting!

uploadfromtaptalk1403143502352.jpg

Stand looks really good. I'm always impressed by actual woodworking / handyman skills.

Back