Notes from my upcoming sump change...

maxxattk

Fresh, New Reefer Smell
BRS Member
Let me know if I'm skipping/forgetting something:

1) Turn off the return pump on the current sump.
2) Wait for the overflow to finish draining.
3) remove return pump from current sump.
4) Pull out the drain from the current sump.

5) Syphon / pump / suck / beg the water from the current sump into buckets.

6) Beer break :)

7) Pull the old sump out.
8) Post a WTS thread on BRS for the plastic storage container that I used for a sump for 4 months.
9) Pray the 30L sump I bought fits under my stand.
10) Install the 30L underneath the stand.
11) Place the return pump in the last chamber, run the return line up to the DT.
12) Water from buckets into the 1st chamber of the new sump.
13) Mix new SW to cover the difference in volume from old sump to new sump.
14) Pour in new water.
15) Install the drain into the 1st chamber.
16) Plug in the return.
17) More beer please?

Beer breaks between 1-2 and 10-11 and 14-15 are missing!!!

Will the new sump go in okay??

You could add mostly new water for a good sized water change as opposed to using the water from the sump.

A mag3 or mag5 to pump water would allow for even more beer breaks... And makes for less water oopsies

I've got a pond pump to pull the water in and out of the sumps. Used to be my return pump :)....

Adding beer breaks between 2 and 3 (while waiting for the overflow to drain) and 13/14 (while waiting for the new water to mix).

Thanks for the advice guys!

and 13/14 (while waiting for the new water to mix).

You may want to make this an extended beer break. You can do this by simply buying more beer and possibly pairing it with some BBQ or nacho type foods. I recommend this to ensure the salt has the proper time to dissolve, cure and come up to the temp of your current tank water.;):D

You may want to make this an extended beer break. You can do this by simply buying more beer and possibly pairing it with some BBQ or nacho type foods. I recommend this to ensure the salt has the proper time to dissolve, cure and come up to the temp of your current tank water.;):D

A keg perhaps? After all, its all in the volume..

BTW, the center chamber is going to house a RDSB. How deep should it be?

I'd have the additional salt water already mixed up the day before so thats one less thing to do.

one thing you might want to consider that i'm going to be doing while replacing my sump is running a bead of silicone all around the seams of my stand... this will allow the stand to hold a little bit of water in the bottom of it before ruining your floors and ceilings...

another thing i'll probably do while installing my new sump is add an exhaust fan of sorts.. to get humid, hot, salty air out of the stand and away from the electrical equipment in the stand..

I would check if the sump would fit.. like use a box mockup or something to see if you can even get it in before going through all the work and then giving yourself a dopeslap

I would add a fan too. I wish i did when I put my sump in its a little tight now

I'd have the additional salt water already mixed up the day before so thats one less thing to do.

Good idear!

one thing you might want to consider that i'm going to be doing while replacing my sump is running a bead of silicone all around the seams of my stand... this will allow the stand to hold a little bit of water in the bottom of it before ruining your floors and ceilings...

Pessimist!

I would check if the sump would fit.. like use a box mockup or something to see if you can even get it in before going through all the work and then giving yourself a dopeslap

I prefer the power of positive thinking, since I've already bought the sump, installed the baffles, and even mixed the new salt water (thanks to Miller's helpful suggestion). Keep in mind, there's already a sump under my stand now. No measure of creative box-model making would allow me to understand if the sump would fit without removing the current sump. At that point, may as well just put the real, upgraded sump in...

Back