Dwarf Seahorse setup

mrcote1

Non-member
Ive been out of hobby for quite some time due to the reason I haven't had the space for the size reef tank I want, so I've decided to start a dwarf seahorse tank until I have the space for a 120 gallon reef tank! I've done a LOT of research but just seeing if anyone has any tips about my setup since this is my first seahorse tank.

My setup includes:
A 6 gallon fluval edge
HOB filter
Dimmish LED light
1" of Arag alive black live sand
Plastic plants
Water will be kept around 76-78°

The setup will soon include:
A small amount of Live rock which will be treated for 3 days in a seperate bucket using panacur to rid it of hydroids

6 dwarf seahorses
2 nesarius snails
2 cerith snails
2 astrea snails
Caulerpa
And mushroom coral

The livestock is waiting for the tank to finish its cycle and the live rock will be added today. For feeding of the ponies i have a brine shrimp hatchery which I will feed them brine shrimp that has hatched within the past 2 days and soaked in Marine Selcon twice a day. I also may try to feed frozen mysis shrimp soaked in vitamins occasionaly (but im not too hopeful on them accepting frozen)

Any thoughts tips or concerns Id love to hear them! Ill post pictures to keep everyone updated on progress
Thanks in advance!

20170711_080916_zpsa6ubyeec.jpg.html

Last edited:
Hi, you can feed them small amount of cyclopees along with live BBS, and within several days at most, they will all be eating it. Observe and see they might accept the frozen Cyclopees right away. Ive had great success with the dwarfs in the past. The babies can be raised up to mature adults quite easily. Make sure to insert a prefilter sponge at the suction of the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yea i put a sponge on the filter. I bought frozen mysis but ill have to try the cyclopees too. Frozen would be a lot easier than hatching brine every day!
Thanks!

The frozen mysis seems a bit too big for their mouths. Maybe the PE Mysis will work. Enjoy them ponies! I might restart my dwarf tank setup soon too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back