Dylan’s 40 gallon breeder

dylan_maillet

Non-member
Received this tank from someone on BRS and built a stand for it about two months ago. I learned what a build thread was today so here we are.
The tanks a drilled 40 Gallon breeder with what I belive to be a 10 gallon sump. For stocking I have a valentini puffer, mandarin dragonette, falco hawk fish, bubble tip anemone, Ironman mushroom frag and dragon eye zoas. I had a pie of clowns but unfortunately the larger one killed the smaller one randomly over night. I couldn’t look at them the same anymore so I gave the larger one to a friend. Pictures will go in order of first day of the tank to present day

Attachments

• FEAE4986-C27D-472F-9F2E-1ED3D68E74DB.jpeg
    FEAE4986-C27D-472F-9F2E-1ED3D68E74DB.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 244
  • 4AC20AF0-C137-427A-923D-39F744E2886C.jpeg
    4AC20AF0-C137-427A-923D-39F744E2886C.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 215
Looks like things are coming along! What are you using for light? I'm a big fan of the shift away from plastic plants. If you want plants, check out dragons breath macro algae.

I bet a neon green toadstool would do great in this tank. They don't need crazy intense lighting and look great. I saw a few folks on here recently who had a lot of frags and they were looking to trade them.

I’d keep an eye on the mandarin to make sure its eating. Most mandarins will only eat pods and won’t eat frozen or other non live foods, even if it means starving to death. If you can’t get the mandarin to eat frozen food asap, you should get rid of it to someone with a larger established tank or it will slowly starve to death.

A 2 month old 40B tank won’t have nearly enough nor a stable pod population to support a mandarin without needing to supplement additional pods.

I’d keep an eye on the mandarin to make sure its eating. Most mandarins will only eat pods and won’t eat frozen or other non live foods, even if it means starving to death. If you can’t get the mandarin to eat frozen food asap, you should get rid of it to someone with a larger established tank or it will slowly starve to death.

A 2 month old 40B tank won’t have nearly enough nor a stable pod population to support a mandarin without needing to supplement additional pods.
I got really lucky with one that went for mysis. I found that the trick was to target feed it beyond what is reasonable. I had some rigid airline tubing and I put a syringe on one end and fed the mandarin, one mysis at a time, through the other end. It was enough to fatten him up. The thing lived for years until he met a vortech.

OP didn't mention if the mandarin is eating prepared foods or not, but if not, it's worth it to really try to baby them for a while.

Received this tank from someone on BRS and built a stand for it about two months ago. I learned what a build thread was today so here we are.
The tanks a drilled 40 Gallon breeder with what I belive to be a 10 gallon sump. For stocking I have a valentini puffer, mandarin dragonette, falco hawk fish, bubble tip anemone, Ironman mushroom frag and dragon eye zoas. I had a pie of clowns but unfortunately the larger one killed the smaller one randomly over night. I couldn’t look at them the same anymore so I gave the larger one to a friend. Pictures will go in order of first day of the tank to present day
looks like 3 different pictures with fake coral currently shown. the lighting may support softies or leathers. you mention you have a sump now show is some current pictures of your system

Good luck with the hobby very fun and addicting. 40 breeder is a great starter tank. Whatever floats your boat but if you plan on running a reef tank I would ditch those fake corals and focus on your lights and flow. I don't see anything for movement in tank besides the return. Your also going to want to think about a clean up crew. You also might wanna think about ditching that puffer if you wanna start transitioning to a reef. Good luck with everything and ask many questions these forums are great for information.

Quick question cause I can't tell from pics is that live rock with that fake coral glued/stuck to it? Or is the rock fake as well?

This build thread is already proving helpful for trouble shooting. As was noted above, now we know which lights you have and which corals your tank could sustain. Could you post a picture of the sump so we can get a better idea of what's under the hood?

I agree that with current lights, your best bet is soft corals. Nothing wrong with that, but important to know. I recently set up a soft coral only tank myself, and it's been very fun.

I have a bag of frozen shrimp I blend half a shrimp and feed my tank and they all love it. Even the mandarin. I do still supplement pods though. Actually have my biggest jar I’ve gotten yet coming in the mail today or tomorrow

Attachments

• 257BAEBB-DEE3-4517-B9C6-007879EFC961.jpeg
    257BAEBB-DEE3-4517-B9C6-007879EFC961.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 138
This build thread is already proving helpful for trouble shooting. As was noted above, now we know which lights you have and which corals your tank could sustain. Could you post a picture of the sump so we can get a better idea of what's under the hood?

I agree that with current lights, your best bet is soft corals. Nothing wrong with that, but important to know. I recently set up a soft coral only tank myself, and it's been very fun.
Because of my puffer I’m trying to steer away from hard corals anyway. I have select ones tucked in a corner for him to trim his beak with and that’s all.

Attachments

• C5D4B5CF-402A-40C8-B671-33E38C240F75.jpeg
    C5D4B5CF-402A-40C8-B671-33E38C240F75.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 143
  • BCE5AD79-3507-4152-AA96-AA472AD66A57.jpeg
    BCE5AD79-3507-4152-AA96-AA472AD66A57.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 137
  • E4BB5951-91EC-438D-8D5F-77A8A3BE13A5.jpeg
    E4BB5951-91EC-438D-8D5F-77A8A3BE13A5.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 143
Because of my puffer I’m trying to steer away from hard corals anyway. I have select ones tucked in a corner for him to trim his beak with and that’s all.
It has a much more stable base now that covers the full length of the sump container. These pictures are from the first week or so of me having the tank

Quick question cause I can't tell from pics is that live rock with that fake coral glued/stuck to it? Or is the rock fake as well?
It was some decoration I had put in my 20gallon freshwater tank. All fake corals were attached by metal rods. Took them out as soon as I realized that. The rock is all real though and there is nothing fake in there anymore except the green anemone in the back left corner. Plan on taking it out today though as I just got a real one yesterday.

looks like 3 different pictures with fake coral currently shown. the lighting may support softies or leathers. you mention you have a sump now show is some current pictures of your system
The fake corals have all been replaced with live rock and i put my system somewhere else in this thread

Attachments

• 191DBDAE-C2A2-4EFF-BF2B-EE8AD2795DCF.jpeg
    191DBDAE-C2A2-4EFF-BF2B-EE8AD2795DCF.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 144
Back