Easy Corals to Keep

Aquadan88

Aquatic Idiot
Trying to think of some fairly easy corals to keep under T5HO lighting. 96 Watts total lighting. Looking for something other than zoas and mushrooms.

Can someone help me brainstorm?

is this for your 15 gallon nano?

If so i think that leathers might be a good choice for you. I also think that some lps would be good under that lighting as well.

Most any leathers, GSPs, xenia/anthelia, or some of the tougher montiporas would probably be happy in there.

Acans also like moderate light and are pretty hardy as well as very cool looking and popular these days.

Do the T5's have individual reflectors? Even if they don't you should be fine in a 15 gallon tank. Tree corals, toadstools, some hammer/frogspawn, dreaded GSP and xenia and of course acans :D (man Jimmy beat me to the acan punch)

Great. that's a good start. I plan on getting a few Zoas and Mushrooms. I was thinking Kenya Trees, Hammer, and acans? Plus a clam and my fish.

Dendros and Duncans would do pretty well too and they're really sweet.

ok help a newbie out, what kinda corals could i keep in a 46gal bow with a current sundial. 156 total watts of light. thank you. sorry to jump on your post aquadan

Great. that's a good start. I plan on getting a few Zoas and Mushrooms. I was thinking Kenya Trees, Hammer, and acans? Plus a clam and my fish.

The clam is a definite stretch....don't think I would go there.

Basically, you need about as much light to keep clams as SPS.

If you're aiming for 'easy' corals, consider holding off on a clam until you get the rest of your corals growing effectively.

Also, the actinic bulbs in your fixture don't count much towards your watts/gallon or PAR number unless you're running an ATI Blue plus. I'd suggest getting your hands on a PAR meter and see how much light gets to where you plan to keep the clam.

become a paid member...borrowing the club PAR meter is one of the benefits! :D

My all-time favorite and it never gets old is frogspawn or hammer coral.
Acan, ricordia, brain,etc..

Ricordia are great, definately will get one of those. Never had good luck with frogspawn at work. So I tend to shy away from it.

In my 12g I have Zoas/palys, Acan, Blasto, Duncan, Candy Cane, Rics and a Toadstool, and all thrive under my T5HO with 96 total watts. :)

Back