Emerald crab ate a gorgonian

Jbotelho85

Non-member
I think my emerald crab ate my NPS yellow gorgonian, I found the crab hanging on to it and found two pieces of the coral on the substrate, looks like both crabs will be going into my sump.

I have both in my tank and have had zero issues. From my research both are "mostly" reef safe but you will run into the occasional individuals who cause problems. I love our emerald crab. It's freaking massive and waves it's claw around at me or any fish that get too close to it. Occasionally it will dig into corals, especially the polyps and I freaked out the first time I caught it doing that but it didn't damage anything. They'll clean up algae and left over food from around the coral and they're not exactly careful about it. But mine has yet to damage anything. The only member of our CUC who has damaged anything is the urchin who munched on an acan. Seems like that was a fluke because it only happened once and it's been a well behaved citizen ever since.

I found my shrimp the other day fiddling with a new Pocillopora I got from Dong. The next day I noticed that the polyps were a little bare, not a bushy as when I first got it. I have to take a look again today to see the status of it. My suspicion right now is that Tropic Isle sold me a camel shrimp instead of a peppermint shrimp.

My suspicion right now is that Tropic Isle sold me a camel shrimp instead of a peppermint shrimp.

I would advice caution when purchasing anything from Tropic Isle. There are a few people on the staff that are somewhat knowledgable but others not so much. There have been a few times where I've asked for something and what they scooped out of tank as not what I asked for. Fortunately I was paying attention and caught it while still in the store, but if I hadn't said anything they would have sent me home with something I didn't ask for and that wasn't reef compatible.

Yes, my experiences with them make me agree. I started out in this hobby buying from them and they upsold me on a bunch of junk. It's my fault for not being knowledgable but you kind of wish they wouldn't in order to earn customer loyalty/respect.

Emerald crab are ok as long as it’s enouf food for then to eat .
I have very bad experience with them so I don’t keep then there .I I need it just use for clean up crew but unmake sure to remove them

Back