End of game- Bryopsis (1) Vs. Higor (0!) - I will tear down my tank!!!

My only highlight in all this is doing a few new things I have been thinking about and upgrading some of my equipment.
....and no more bryopsis

Let me know if you need any help....
If you lose anything, I'll be ready to frag.

Now you learn something new every day don't you?! What the heck! Someone in Reef Central pointed out that what I have looks like something called Derbesia Hair Algae (not the usual looking Hair Algae I am used to though)!!!

I remember seeing the “Fern” looking leaves before I started dosing Tech-M, but since dosing it went away, got a little browner, and clumped together. But now I have to admit, it kind of look likes the pictures for this “Derbesia” algae crap…

I am still on the same boat though...Be it Bryopsis or Derbesia (never heard of it until today), nothing will eat it, Tech-M won't kill it and it's grow like crazy!

This is the Hair Algae I am used to seeing (My first Reef Tank in 2007)... A lot greener and longer

Not this- Browner, furry looking, short and clumpped together...

So now there is hardier, stronger, devilish type of Hair Algae that nothing will eat called Derbesia... GREAT!!!

It looked more like hair algae to me too but it was hard to be sure from the photos. I almost mentioned it but figured you knew for sure what you were dealing with.

I have never seen Hair Algae like this...and I have never come across HA that a clean up crew would not touch. This is blowing my mind... Anyway you look at it, I am still screwed :confused::mad:

I thought I knew what Hair Algae looked like... but I never thought there were different types. Apparently I have never come across this one. My fault for forgetting how this hobby can throw curve balls...

According to these articles, even Bryopsis is called Hair Algae-

http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsespecies.php?CritterID=1996

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2009/06/hair-algaesolutions-that-dont-require.html

If what I have is Derbesia it still doesn't change the fact that it's taking over the tank, nothing will eat it and according to articles I have read it's pretty much "self-sufficient" when it gets to this point. Meaning starving it from Nutrients will at best slow it down, not get rid of it. And I would probably hurt my corals at that point...

I am still looking at breaking down the tank at this point. I just don't know any more man... I am at a loss here

im going threw sanme crap right now for last 5 months =( tried it all no results it grows back just as fast as u take it out after 10 years im jumpen out the boat loosing it all last year to blizzard nemo and now this ughh good luck on ur adventure i did have some luck with like the sticks u use for make shikabab just poke the agle give it a twist and it all will wrap around the stick u get allot but can find anything to kill or eat it

I agree with rmc. Try the hydrogen peroxide. You have a month before you are ready to break down. It's not gonna make things worse. But could make it better. Inject the dose right into a patch of algae.

First of all I think you are blowing this out of proportion. Even if it's Bryopsis. I know some people like to be able to control every aspect of your tank, but you just cannot. Now, if it's not Bryopsis, just get a bunch of snails and hermits to eat it. You can also scrub a few rocks outside of the tank and then return them. Sometimes snails and hermits are less interested in eating the long hair algae. A few herbivorous fish might help as well, though I'm surprised the Naso's not doing anything for you (too well fed?). All tanks are a balance, sometimes things get a little out of balance.

What do you have currently as cleanup crew?

First of all I think you are blowing this out of proportion. Even if it's Bryopsis. I know some people like to be able to control every aspect of your tank, but you just cannot. Now, if it's not Bryopsis, just get a bunch of snails and hermits to eat it. You can also scrub a few rocks outside of the tank and then return them. Sometimes snails and hermits are less interested in eating the long hair algae. A few herbivorous fish might help as well, though I'm surprised the Naso's not doing anything for you (too well fed?). All tanks are a balance, sometimes things get a little out of balance.

Thank you both for your comments. You guys are both experience reefers, and I value your opinions... To answer some of your questions;

Clean UP crew-

Sea Hare (Just found him dead today... Pretty sure he starved :()
LawnMower Blenny (Actually seems to be eating this stuff. But he is not making a dent at this point)
Trochus, Turbo, Astreas, Ceriths, Neriths snails
Tuxedo Urchin
Nassarious Snails
Hermits

Nothing besides the Blenny will touch it. Now, the way I look at it... If I will have to remove rocks and treat them individually, well... I might as well go all the way and sterilize and restart the tank. I never went through anything like this, and I don't want to keep this up and/or partially treat it only to have it back.

I feel like I am at a loss here, and have no other options. Extreme situations requires extreme measures...

Have you tried a rabbitfish? Not a fox face but a rabbit. I had one demolish a Valonia outbreak of epic proportions that almost made me tear my tank down. He also ate a patch of bryopsis. You should get a good sized fish and try it out. Rabbits eat everything algae related, they are great at cleaning up tanks.

Higor,
You're doing the right thing. Just pull everything out and treat the rock and restart. There's no point of trying out this snail or this fish. Even if the fish or snail cleans it up real good, what are you going to do with it when the bryopsis is gone.
I would restart.

I know I may have missed this somewhere in this thread but have you been pulling it off and siphoning out what floats around?

Have you tried a rabbitfish? Not a fox face but a rabbit. I had one demolish a Valonia outbreak of epic proportions that almost made me tear my tank down. He also ate a patch of bryopsis. You should get a good sized fish and try it out. Rabbits eat everything algae related, they are great at cleaning up tanks.

That's one of the few things I haven't tried. At this point though it won't resolve my problem. This thing releases spore and it grows everywhere! It's been a constant battle keeping my frag chamber in my sump free of this stuff. I mean, it grows everywhere!!! On pumps in the tank and sump... Even if I got something that cleaned the DT, I would still have it in other areas where he wouldn't reach.

Thanks for the idea though...

Higor,
You're doing the right thing. Just pull everything out and treat the rock and restart. There's no point of trying out this snail or this fish. Even if the fish or snail cleans it up real good, what are you going to do with it when the bryopsis is gone.
I would restart.

I hear you man, I really don’t think there is any other way. I can live/manage Ich in my tank… Don’t really want to live/manage this crap. Not an option!

I know I may have missed this somewhere in this thread but have you been pulling it off and siphoning out what floats around?

The other day I spent over 1 hour pulling TONS of it out… Doesn’t really make any difference. To be honest, I think it has gotten worse since I started to manually removed. I am really careful not to let any of it float away, but it’s probably the spore I can’t see that are the worse ones.

Since trying to manually remove it, seems to be popping out everywhere in the tank. Even frags/corals in the middle of the sand. I have been individually treating corals and frags that I can pull out with H2O2 on a regular base now. It really pisses them off and I have lost a bunch in the process…

There is no way I would treat my Scollys, Chalices, some of my Acans and SPS. It’s just too much of a gamble…

Higor

The problem again might be the length of the stuff. Try taking one rock out and scrubbing it off (in a bucket of salt water). If the snails and hermits keep it clean, then you know the issue.

I have to say I am finally beating my 7 month old Foe!!!

Before-

After-

Before-

After-

Before-

After-

Before-

After-

It seems like the Bryopsis started to really die and lose its grip after I started running a couple of reactors. One with GFO and another with Bio-Pellets.

The Bryopsis is not 100% gone yet. There still a little bit left, but nothing like before. I would say it's 95% gone, and the other 5% is on its way out slowly.

I have to give props to my Lawn Mower Blenny, he has been the only thing that eats this stuff. I know that he will slowly eat the rest and help me keep this thing from coming back.

I am so glad I held back breaking down the tank!!! :victorious:

Higor

Back