Exotic Marine Fish Wholesalers in Everett

ReeferMedic

Non-member
When I first entered the hobby anout 5 years ago, I went to the above mentioned lfs. I actually went there often until I finally realized they are out for your money and that's it. The owner talked me into buying an Ocean Clear Canister Filter for my new reef and all I'd have to do is give the cartridge a rinse every 6 months or so. I asked him about a sump and he said, "what is going to clean your water? You need a mechanical filter to clean the water. I don't know why people use sumps, they don't do anything for water quality". Well, I went out and purchased one online for about 1/2 what he was asking. He actually had me believing that corals "wouldn't last very long and you'd have to replace them periodically any way". Another example would be when he had some kind of Jack in one of his tanks. I think it was a Bumblebee Jack. Any way, I had a 4' tank and questioned him about tank size and eating habits and such. He told me, "it'll be fine, they don't get to be more than 6" or so. When I went home, I did some research(I was finally getting a clue on this place)and found out that Jacks are part of the Tuna family and this particular fish can exceed 3' in length!:eek: I have to take some of the blame myself, as I didn't do my research about the fish.(I always research fish before I buy them now) Live and learn I guess. He also sells Bamboo Sharks telling people(myself included and I heard him telling other people)they will do fine in a reef. That's pathetic! I called him a few days later and he offered to give me 1/2 the price back. Gee, thanks! On a scale of 1-10, I give them a -1. Please, don't spend your money at this place. They care nothing about the animals we keep. They just want the money. He was actually pissed at me once because I was at the store when it opened one day! I could go on and on, but I think this is enough to get the picture. I actually agonized over posting this, but I want my fellow reefers to beware! He is till the same. The only good thing I got out of the whole experience was the Tube Anemone in my avatar. That was the size of a pencil when I bought it.

Last edited:
Back in '98, I bought some live rock there, a little at a time. It was decent stuff. Came with tons of zoanthids on there. The price was average for an LFS.

Many months later I went back and bought a rock with flourescent green mushrooms on there. Again, average price for an LFS. The rock produced tons of shrooms.

I never had a bad experience with the staff recommending the wrong items or giving me bad advice. Of course, I didn't ask many questions. I knew what I wanted, found it, and purchased.

I also went here when I first started and yes he was pushing Ocean Clear Canister Filters big time on me. Like Moe if you know what you want and he has it, well it?s up to you. I personally would not take any advice about Reefs from them.
On another note ReeferMedic ?the Tube Anemone in my avatar? ??????? your avatar is a black square LOL:D

My Experience

When I started out 6 years ago I went there for advice.....boy what a mistake. They sold me 2 Ocean Clear filters and a Red Sea skimmer for a 300 gallon tank filtration system. They also sold me live sand and rock. They told me that it was "fully cured" and it would arrive by truck. Yeah right. The bill came to $3200.

After a week of checking out the products (I should have done this b4 I bought) I decided these guys sold me the wrong equipment for my tank. They refused to refund me anything and it took a year and finally small claims court to get $2850 back from them as a result of mediation at Lynn District Court.

I would never go there for anything and do not recommend this shop to anyone.

I went there once about 4 years back. It was a bad experience. The owner was very rude and gave out a lot of misinformation (For example - the blue and pink nudibranches he was selling eat the sliime off the tank wall). I was very unimpressed. With the myriad of great fish stores in the area now I would suggest giving your business to one of the many shops that makes an effort to educate their customers to care properly for the creatures in there care. I did not find this to be the case in my past experience with this retailer.

JMO

Wow,good thing I read this thread tonight! I got a clownfish from him last week and it died on me the next day. When I got home I noticed the fish had a red cut on its side while I was acclimating it. Stupid me, didnt think much of it and figured maybe itd heal. So I threw the fish in my tank and his color quickly started fading that day and he was dead the next. :(

So I tried calling the guy at the store all weekend( he has some odd hours) but finally got a hold of him on Tuesday. Long story short....he had me bring a water sample and then tried telling me my PH was too high. I think he was offering to give me a refund/discount on next fish, which I was going to get tomorrow but forget it now after reading everyones complaints!!

that store used to be good, back in 98 as someone stated. there were two owners, the other one was cool. they got into a huge argument on how the business should be ran. the current guy kept the store, and now its aweful.

the current owner is in it just for the money, not for the hobby. stay away from him

Yeah, I agree with Finz. During my first attempt at a reef tank I visited this store weekly. There were two owners: one really great guy and a cocky guy. Their advice often contradicted each other, but the nice guy seemed genuine and advised me against certain purchases. The other guy would sell anyone anything at anytime (as long as it wasn't inconvenient for him).

Inevitably my tank crashed and burned and I was out of the hobby for years. My fault because I should have found other sources of info than a lfs. Anyway, I haven't returned there since starting this tank and don't intend to, especially after reading this thread.

Back